Memory Card reader for MBP?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Feb 29, 2008.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Hi!

As some of you know, I ordered a new Penryn MBP w/ 17" LED so I won't be getting it til March 20th. I just wanted to know if it comes with a built-in memory card reader since I have a Sony Camera (it uses pro duo memory chips I believe). If it doesn't come built in, is there a slot for a memory card reader that I can stick one in (i.e. like in the express card slot) or will I have to attach a USB-type of memory card reader and have an externally attached device that ruins the look of my Macbook Pro?

Thanks!

2. Jpoon macrumors 6502

3. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I've got a Griffin Expresscard Memory card reader that works really well. They're pretty cheap, like $30

4. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I've got the Griffin ExpressCard/34 Reader also and it's great because you never have to remove it from the slot and won't forget it at home!

One caveat - it does not work with Sandisk Ultra cards, but it works with all other brands.

5. a4abt macrumors regular

I use the usb cable that came with my camera. Works fine.

6. akadmon macrumors 68020

Can you get these at Apple stores?

7. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Sandisk Extreme card reader - works great and no problems.

8. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

It looks like more than one of you mentioned the Griffin one so it must be good. One question I have is, if you ever used a pro-duo (sandisk or sony, doesnt matter), does the pro-duo stick have a spring where u can push it in or out -or- does it get jammed? The reason I ask is because my current HP laptop has a 5-in-1 reader that reads the pro duo, but i have to put it in its adaptor before sticking it in because there's no spring and would jam without the adaptor since its so small and can't pull it out. Sony computers have springs to push them to take them out.

And does the Griffin have any issues reading the sandisk pro duo stick?

Thanks!

9. akadmon macrumors 68020

I just ordered this the Atech Flash PRO Express-7 from Newegg. It reads SDHC cards and is getting glowing reviews from Mac users.

10. soccerjoe5 macrumors regular

of the expresscard readers i found that the sandisk one has the least of bad feedback. i've read problems on both the griffin and belkin. i think i'll pick up a sandisk one soon.

11. dbernie41 macrumors regular

I was just about to look into that Griffin but what I use are Sandisk Ultra II cards so screw the griffin! Does it only not work with the original ultra cards or do Ultra II and III not work as well?

12. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

any compact flash readers that are express/34?

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No built in readers. The Griffin one's pretty spiff.

14. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I picked up the Canon MP970 printer ($100 after rebates) with my MBP. It has a built in card reader which is perfect for me, since I only need to look at them when at home.

I have the printer hooked up to my wireless router via an ethernet cord. The best part of the whole deal is, I get wireless access to my cards! The reader on the printer shows up as a shared device in finder.

15. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

http://www.delkin.com/products/adapters/expresscard34/

I haven't gotten it yet, but I have read that it is quite good. For SD, I have the Sandisk 5 in 1 expresscard reader. Works great, no issues. I keep that one in the slot all the time because it doesnt really stick out of the slot so it doesn't bother me and makes it easier to keep track of.