Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R1CH4RD 21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2009
Hi

I saw an article a few weeks ago which contained some code to input into the terminal window to force a hardware clean up. I now have the problem of not being able to find this. If someone could help me it would me much appreciated

Thanks
Richard

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Hi

I saw an article a few weeks ago which contained some code to input into the terminal window to force a hardware clean up. I now have the problem of not being able to find this. If someone could help me it would me much appreciated

Thanks
Richard

It really isn't necessary to do any memory or hardware cleanup. But if you really want to there is a system tool called YASU (Yet another system utility). This provides a simple interface for clearing caches and doing other various system maintenance procedures. I would be careful before using this because If you don't know what you are doing, you could delete things that you need. There is also a tool called Onyx which provides more options for system maintenance as well as customization.

R1CH4RD 21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2009
There is no "hardware clean up" software command.

Maybe im calling it the wrong thing but i have used it before. it is a series of code entered into the terminal window. You can clear daily, weekly and monthly history. In addition to this you can find out when it was performed last. each task has a separate code.

Heb1228 said:
OS X has great memory management. You're not using Windows anymore. You don't have to babysit your computer.

I read that OS X has specific times that it carries out this management and if it is not switched on then it does not reschedule them. Using this code will force it to be carried out.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
The command is:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

All it does is clean up logs, nothing more. You'll get no performance boost from it unless you have a run away log. Also, if you put your Mac to sleep and wake it up, this gets run for you automatically.

R1CH4RD 21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2009
The command is:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

All it does is clean up logs, nothing more. You'll get no performance boost from it unless you have a run away log. Also, if you put your Mac to sleep and wake it up, this gets run for you automatically.

Thanks

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Maybe im calling it the wrong thing but i have used it before. it is a series of code entered into the terminal window. You can clear daily, weekly and monthly history. In addition to this you can find out when it was performed last. each task has a separate code.

I read that OS X has specific times that it carries out this management and if it is not switched on then it does not reschedule them. Using this code will force it to be carried out.

They rotate certain logs. 10.5 does it automatically if computers are off during the scheduled times.

It's not MEMORY cleanup.

Memory (RAM):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.