Memory compatibility with Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cutter74, Nov 15, 2012.

1. cutter74 macrumors member

Nov 15, 2012
    Hi all, long time Windows user here and I'm looking for a potential switch to an all-Mac environment. I'm thinking of buying the latest iMac and a Mac Mini models. Would it be safe to assume that I can safely use my the 8GB stock iMac memory dimms to the Mac Mini and only purchase memory for the iMac? Thanks for your time.
  2. MeFromHere macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2012
    Mac Mini:
    "4GB (two 2GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
    Configurable to 8GB or 16GB."

The exact specs for Mac Mini memory are here:

27" iMac:
    "8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory; four user-accessible SO-DIMM slots
    Configurable to 16GB or 32GB."

Based on this (incomplete) information, it looks like you can interchange memory between the 2012 (27") iMac and the 2012 Mac Mini.

I don't think Apple will release more detailed specs for iMac until the systems start to ship. This page will probably be updated at that time:

Note that we DON'T KNOW what kind of memory the new 21.5" iMac will use. Apple has said it's not "user serviceable"; it may be a completely nonstandard memory module, or it may be a normal module that is just hard to get to.
  3. cutter74 thread starter macrumors member

Nov 15, 2012
    These were the pages I looked at myself prior to posting and I agree it's not clear. I also should mention that I'm interested in the 27" iMac, so I guess I'll have to do some more waiting...
  4. cutter74 thread starter macrumors member

Nov 15, 2012
    Well, according to Crucial, the iMac 27" uses DDR3 PC3-12800 and recommends Part# CT3650255. The Mac Mini however uses the exact same specification DDR3 DIMMs but with a different Part# CT3650338.

Do you believe they're really different or incompatible? Since I'm planning on buying an iMac 27", I was really hoping to save some money by using the iMac's Dimms on the Mac Mini...