Memory & cpu

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mr. Incredible, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Mr. Incredible macrumors 6502a

So, I updated my RAM (from 4GB to 12GB), now, I want to increase my CPU.

I thought the whole point of RAM was to prevent my computer from lagging, but it still does!

It only happens when I'm converting a file to iTunes (Vuze Related).

Currently, my MEMORY is:
    Wired: 1.02 GB
    Active: 2.09 GB
    Inactive: 948 MB
    Free: 7.71 GB

My CPU is:
    User: 95%
    System: 3%
    Nice: 0%
    Idle: 2%

^Again, the only reason as to why my CPU is so high is because I'm converting files to iTunes. This is also causing my computer to lag, and sometimes websites (or apps) would crash because of this (i.e., my safari pages don't load, or I get the dreaded spinning beach ball!)

My question is:

How can I increase my CPU?!

I found this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4bEflo7Ycw

^Thats for an app called CPU Speed Accelerator, which will supposedly increase my speeds by 20-30%.

Has anyone here used this before? Do you know of any other method that will increase my CPU, whether it's purchasing or downloading something?

Also, if someone can explain to me the difference between the two, that will be very helpful too; cause at this point, I'm a bit confused.

Thanks in advance!

MK

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

What are you converting to iTunes? Music, video? What are you using to convert them? Handbrake, XLD?

3. Mr. Incredible thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I said it's Vuze related.

I downloaded a movie from it, and on the left hand side, it has a DEVICE PLAYBACK section, which I set to iTunes. I basically drag and drop the download from the File section to the Device Playback section, and it automatically starts converting my movie.

Anyway, my CPU usage is super high, how can I lower it so my computer doesn't lag?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Overclocking the CPU or upgrading the CPU won't really help. Encoding is extremely CPU heavy and often takes advantage of all the available CPU power, meaning that a faster CPU would get the job done faster but it would still be close to 100% usage.

Sounds like your best option is to take a look at the settings. Many apps can be limited to e.g. one core, meaning that you would have at least one free core for other processes. I would also look into HandBrake, it's much better and at least my iMac never lags when converting (poorly coded app can hog the CPU and not release the load for other processes).