MEMORY DIMMS INSTALLED-DONT SHOW IN "ABOUT THIS MAC"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DICKNPHYL, Jul 13, 2015.

1. DICKNPHYL macrumors member

WHEN I CK "ABOUT THIS MAC" IT SHOWS I HAVE ONLY THE 4 GB MHZ DDR2 FB-DIMM. IN DIMM RISER 3. I ACTUALLY HAVE 8 MORE GB'S 4 IN RISER "B" AND 4GBS IN RISER "A". CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON AND HOW TO CORRECT IT.
    THANKS-
    DICKSTER-----

2. ScoobyMcDoo, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015

ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

WHAT MAC DO YOU HAVE?

Some macs have limitations on the amount of ram they can recognize.

3. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

What Mac do you have and what RAM are you trying to install? You could also try re-seating the RAM as sometimes they're not fitted properly. They have to be pretty snug.

4. DICKNPHYL thread starter macrumors member

HAVE A MAC PRO WORK STATION-USING YOSEMITE 10.10.4- THE MEMORY DIMMS WERE ALREADY INSTALLED AND ALL WAS WORKING WELL. I AM GOING TO DOWNLOAD AND RE-INSTALL YOSEMITE TODAY AND SEE IF THAT IS THE FIX FOR IT. I DID IT A COUPLE DAYS AGO BECAUSE OF MINOR PROBS. THEN I WILL PULL THE ACTUAL DIMMS AND RESEAT THEM AND SEE IF THAT WORKS.
    THANKS-DICKSTER-----

5. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Can you please stop typing in CAPS? It's making my eyes bleed. Just try re-seating the RAM first.

6. DICKNPHYL thread starter macrumors member

sorry about the "caps"---reinstalled yosemite os 10.10.4 and it did nothing. will try reseatingthe dims later today.
    dickster-----

7. DICKNPHYL thread starter macrumors member

Reset the DIMMS in computer double ckd. them but it made no change; still not showing the ram dims in about this Mac. I'm now wondering if I am operating with only the 4 gb's it shows.
    Any other ideas?
    Dickster

8. icarus523 macrumors newbie

You are either on a Mac Pro 1,1, MacPro 2,1 (667MHz) or 3,1 (800MHz) DDR-2 FB DIMMS

This question is better asked in the Mac Pro forums btw.

I had this issue, i resolved it by swapping the Dimm Module trays around (not just modules, the actual memory boards that inserts to the logic board) , from top to bottom and vice versa.
    Also have a look when you boot it up for any red LEDs that light up and stay on.

Also installation of DIMMs require proper procedures based on the Mac Pro model you have, identify that first then follow this:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT4433

9. DICKNPHYL thread starter macrumors member

Icarus; I found I did have some red flashing lights. I went into Apple menu-about this Mac- System report-- diagnostics- It told me I had memory failure in 3 of my memory card dims. 1-4gb and both 1gb cards. I called the co. I had purchased the 2-4gbs from. they had LIFETIME WARRANTY "MEMORYAMERICA.COM" They sent me the 8 gb memory cards. Got them Sat. Installed and did take out the 2-1gb Apple card-8yrs. Old, no warranty.
    Now I have 8 gb's Ram instead of 10; every thing is working great, just like when new.
    Thanks for your help and to you others also !
    Dickster-----