memory errors

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rtrt, Feb 26, 2008.

1. rtrt, Feb 26, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

That's the way mine is installed. I followed the directions from OWC's install sheet included with the RAM.

Have you run the Apple Hardware Tests CD?

You could also try removing and re-seating the RAM.

3. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

On Riser A, put the 2 GB modules in the front slots (1 and 2) and move the 1GB ones to the rear, and see if that improves things.

For performance reasons alone, you always want to put your highest-capacity RAM up front, otherwise you incur a small latency cost when the smaller modules up front "fill up" and have to mediate access to the rear modules.

But also for reliability. For some occult reason, I've found that running with smaller modules in front always seems to generate more ECC errors. When I first ran my Netlist 1GB modules behind Apple 512MB ones, I'd get cascading ECC errors that disappeared once I put the higher capacity RAM up front.

4. subaqua macrumors member

For what it's worth. I'd recommend getting iStat (http://islayer.com) and monitor the temperatures of each FB-DIMM. I manually increased the CPU and Chassis Fan speeds to keep the temperatures below 155 F. This resulted in no more ECC errors for me. Your milage may vary ...

Also, you may find that the FB-DIMM generating the ECC errors is running unusually hot.

5. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

6. rtrt, Feb 26, 2008

rtrt thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. rtrt, Feb 27, 2008

rtrt thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

That configuration should be fine, I would recommend getting the RAM replaced and not trying to find a way of making it work. You have followed Apple's instructions precisely. Maybe just check that the modules are seated properly first.

9. bigbird macrumors 6502

It's almost impossible to not seat MP RAM properly. If the tabs push up when you press the RAM in, that's the best you can do.