Memory failed Apple Hardware test after upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fins831, Feb 1, 2013.

1. fins831 macrumors 6502a

Just got my new MBP today and instantly upgraded the RAM to 16 gig. It failed Apple's hardware test, ran memtest and got an error too.

Any suggestions on replacement, I was using Gskill 8gig x2 sticks from newegg, cost about 85 bucks. Should i try corsair?

I have an RMA ticket, but im tempted to return it and try diff brand. Any suggestions

----------

found this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148609

exchange for this one, or corsair?

2. mike5065 macrumors newbie

my first 2x8gb of Mushkin (1.35v) passed AHT and memtest. But I would get SEGV issues in the logs during boot, so I RMAed.

In the meantime, I picked up 2x8GB GSkill (1.5v), which also passed AHT and memtest, and I had no issues.

when my Mushkin (1.35v) replacements arrived, they passed AHT and memtest, and I have had no issues. I'm leaving these in because they work very well, and for the reduced power requirement.

in my 15 years of custom building (and RAM overclocking) and laptop upgrades, I can only conclude it's a crap shoot, even with the better manufacturers, although some are better / more consistent with overclocking than others.

i have had failures from Corsair (desktop) and Mushkin (laptop). In both cases, they fixed it no charge.

i have no suggestions on replacement, only a suggestion that to stick with RMA (use your stock RAM in the meantime), and limit your RAM testing, since the RAM will get very hot, and heat kills RAM.

3. fins831 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I RMA'ed the ram, and sending it back tomorrow, Ordered the crucial off newegg thats made for the new MBP's and is 1600 ddr3....has a good review, so heres hoping. I know its a crapshoot, but I never used g skill for laptops before, and just prefer to stay with corsair and crucial and i strayed because the price roped me in.

Get new ram tues-weds, hope its better.