memory for 17" 2.33 GHz MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by natethomas, Dec 19, 2007.

1. natethomas macrumors newbie

I just placed an order for a MBP from macmall. I opted to go with the slightly older version: 17", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive. Total after a rebate is just under $2000. I could have gotten a 15", 2.2 GHz version for rougly the same price from Apple, but this will be our main computer and I wanted the slightly larger display and faster graphics card.

I would like to upgrade the RAM. Should I just replace one of the modules (to get to 3 Gb) or should I put in two 2 Gb modules? I know that the max for this MBP is 3 Gb - is it better to have the modules matched even if it excedes what the computer can handle?

Thanks!

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

It's not worth the extra money. The benefit you will see from the matched pair is negligent if you can't use the memory.

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Congratulations

I got the same deal (but $100 more) two weeks ago. I'm just staying with the 2 gigs. Works fine, no install, save money.
    It's a fantastic machine.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I thought the 128 Nvidea card beat the 256mb x1600s

5. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

It does by quite a fair bit actually. You got a much slower graphics card and a tiny bit faster processor, but I bet that extra screen space makes up for it.