Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Ok so I have these 2 old 600mhz G3 iBooks that I got cheap but alas they came with only the standard 128mb RAM installed. I'd like to max out the RAM which means purchasing a 512mb stick and these are the specifications for it (from Crucial):-

512MB, 144-pin SODIMM, SDRAM, PC133 memory module
CT234088
Module Size: 512MB
Package: 144-pin SODIMM
Feature: SDRAM, PC133
Specs: SDRAM, PC133 • CL=3 • Non-parity • 133MHz • 3.3V • 64Meg x 64

Now if I look on ebay (UK) for some in the Mac section the cost is about £30 but if I look in the non-Mac laptop section, I can get some with the same specs for half the price.

My question is, is there any difference that the specs don't show that means the iBooks will reject the cheaper RAM as I know that Macs can be fussy with memory upgrades or should I save myself some cash and go for the cheaper RAM as essentially, it's the same anyway?

Thanks in advance. :)

JayMan8081

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2007
Dayton, OH
I had no problem buying non-Mac labeled RAM for my old 500MHz G3 iBook earlier last year from eBay. Your iBook should be able to use any RAM that matches the specifications that you posted.

1ncr3du10u5

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2007
I had no problem buying non-Mac labeled RAM for my old 500MHz G3 iBook earlier last year from eBay. Your iBook should be able to use any RAM that matches the specifications that you posted.

That's good to know. I think I'll take the plunge and order the cheaper RAM. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.