Memory for Cheap?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by supercooled, Dec 28, 2007.

1. supercooled macrumors 6502a

A thousand pardons for that quick and uninspiring title. I'm looking for some 2GB modules for my MBP and I'm hoping there are some sales happening right now because of the Boxing Day bonanza happening in my country. I looked around but to be honest, I wouldn't know a good deal if it were staring at me in the face. The last time I bought memory for my computer was a year ago and the prices were on average, $100 for 1GB of 667mhz. Looking for 2x2GB to max out this MBP 2.13 C2D.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy holidays to you and yours.

2. CKtoph macrumors 6502

You should be able to look on Newegg or Amazon and find 2GB RAM for about $50-$60 a stick.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i just bought one of these 2 gb sticks from new egg (crucial memory) for $57.99 with a $25 rebate. so, $57.99 + tax + shipping - $25 rebate ≈ $42. not a bad deal if you ask me.

4. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Crucial usually has pretty good prices. Newegg is also a good place.

5. esco macrumors 6502

esco

I plan on buying the same after MWSF. 4GB for less ~$80? Count me in.

6. supercooled thread starter macrumors 6502a

Be assured if Newegg was available to me, I would order from them without hesitation. I'm in Canada and they don't ship here yet. Looked at Macsale and they have Microns 2x2GB for $159 http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Samsung/53DDR2SAMP4G/

Throw in shipping and duties, it's going to kill the deal.

Guess I'll look around locally to see if I can get a better deal before I order from the States. I've also been told Crucial.com has pretty competitive prices and you can't beat their compatibility/warranty.

Thanks for replying.

7. Surely Guest

Surely

Try www.memoryamerica.com

I bought 4 GB of Samsung RAM for my MacBook from them for around $120 in November. I ordered it on Friday and I got it on the Monday or Tuesday.

8. TinCan macrumors newbie

Where in Canada do you live exactly? If you live in Alberta then you could always go to Memory Express, which is a locally owned store. If not they have an online store that ships to most places in Canada.

Memory Express (Not the cheapest I've seen for 2GB of ram but I've heard "good" things about this brand):
    Mushkin 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SODIMM for Apple @ $59.95 (CND) (after rebate) [so about 120ish for 4GB]
    OWC:
    OWC brand 4.0GB Upgrade Kit (2.0GB Modules x 2 Matched) for $95.75 (USD)
    Micron 4GB kit for $157.99 (USD)
    Samsung 4GB kit for $159.00 (USD)
    Techworks 4GB kit for $104.99 (USD)

OR keep an eye out at NCIX.com cause they sometimes have random (lol) ram sales. My cousin bought 1GB (or was it 2GB) ram for $5. Decent deal for 1GB ram here.

Hope that helps. (I'm buying ram as well so I had all the info already out.. :p)

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Frys will ship internationally and to Canada it might not be that expensive:

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5475019

If you prefer something more of a name brand they also have Corsair modules for $39.99 each after $20.00 rebate:

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5175606

I almost ordered from them myself but the shipping to Japan was $20.00 which did kill the deal. I ended up buying 2x2GB sticks of Taiwanese (UMAX) 2GB SO-DIMMs from a local vendor and they worked like a charm.

I definitely recommend the upgrade to 4GB. It made a huge difference overall from 2GB on my iMac.

10. peejack macrumors 6502a

I always go with crucial, normally the cheapest and very very good quality

11. midorix macrumors member

my vote is for OWC.
    I just recently purchased 4gb OWC memory kit for my Imac.
    The one I got with OWC label has the Micron chip (=same as Crucial)....YMMV.
    I waited long as I can since the price kept dropping.
    I got it at $99 but it looks like it dropped few $ more.