Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rchirnom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
Hello all.
I've just placed my order for a new 12" Powerbook to replace my nearly 3 year old iBook. I have a question about memory chips.

My old iBook has a built in 128MB chip and a 512MB chip under the keyboard. In System Profiler it says it is SDRAM, and its speed is PC133U-333.

The new Powerbook comes with 256MB built in and 256 underneath. My shipping receipt says that the memory is "DDR333".

What i'd like to do is trade out the chips between them so that the iBook (soon to go on eBay) has 384 MB and the new Powerbook has a solid 768 MB.

My question is...can I do this? is this memory interchangable? Will it screw up the iBook or Powerbook or both to do this? Please share your knowledge. Thanks!
Ryan

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
as mentioned, that will not work. its best to buy the stock PB set up, then get your ram for cheap from somewhere else. and think, the more ram you have in your iBook when you sell it the better!

rchirnom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
ok thanks for the help. i'll just try it out stock and maybe buy additional memory from a 3rd party at a later date...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.