Memory for i5 and i7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by peteyD, Nov 20, 2009.

1. peteyD macrumors member

I've been waiting for my i5 for several weeks. At the beginning of this week, I was told it was in Ireland, so I went ahead and bought another 4GB of RAM from Crucial.

Yesterday, I found out that it hadn't even been built yet and I have at least another 2 weeks to wait. The silver lining is that I could upgrade to the i7 which for £160 seemed worth it.

Anyway, my question is this: will the 4GB I bought from Crucial for my i5 work in the i7? I would assume it would, and the specs look the same. The only concern is that Crucial use different part numbers for the i5-compatible RAM (CT1115260) to the i7-compatible RAM (CT1115264). They are both listed as:

DDR3 PC3-8500 • CL=7 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1066 • 1.5V • 256Meg x 64 •

It'd be good to know as the i5 RAM is still unopened so easier to return.

BTW, the price of the 4GB kit has gone up from £58.99 when I ordered at the start of the week to £67.99 (both ex VAT), a significant %age increase.

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I can't speak for part numbers but aside from the CPU in the socket the i5 and i7 iMacs are identical so you shouldn't have any problems.