Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manowar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
could someone please tell me the difference between the following Ram:

DDR3 ECC 1066 MHz and DDR3 1066 MHz

its the ECC, i have the chance to buy 16gb of ram from pc world for £62 and i just want to know if i should

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Nice! Then you should be fine :)

Apple tech docs only mention ECC.

I think it would be worth running a memory test overnight to see if any errors pop up.

Also it's astounding to see ECC Memory mix with non ECC memory.

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Using NON-ECC + ECC memory with an ECC system will disable the error-checking and correcting ability on rest of your memory modules. While your system may still operate fine, the features of the ECC modules will no longer be active in your computer.

I ask then, what is the point of using a workstation with Xeon chip like Mac Pro ?

manowar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
bax2003 I am still very new to Mac Pro, so thats why i keep asking the questions.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
bax2003 I am still very new to Mac Pro, so thats why i keep asking the questions.

Yeah, you should remove the non-ECC module. Sell it if you don't have another use for it. Then use the money to buy a matching DIMM (same maker and same spec is best if you can).

Also you will run into troubles like that. You must install memory in pairs for your machine.

If it were me I would ditch all of that RAM and buy four 4GB ECC DIMMs. That should be about $150 ~ $175 (±)

Last edited:

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
could someone please tell me the difference between the following Ram:

DDR3 ECC 1066 MHz and DDR3 1066 MHz

its the ECC, i have the chance to buy 16gb of ram from pc world for £62 and i just want to know if i should

Amazon are selling Crucial 4GB ECC (CT51272BA1067) sticks for £24.94 - I just bought the last one and have 3 more on order. Estimated delivery time is 2 weeks though.

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011

Don't get me wrong, am not accusing you, calling names or anything :)

You must know what are differences, pros and cons of machine that you are buying.
For Mac Pro they are: OS X, stability (one of reasons is using ECC), speed, built quality, beauty, excellent cooling and it has every type of connectivity that i require.

manowar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
Don't get me wrong, am not accusing you, calling names or anything :)

You must know what are differences, pros and cons of machine that you are buying.
For Mac Pro they are: OS X, stability (one of reasons is using ECC), speed, built quality, beauty, excellent cooling and it has every type of connectivity that i require.

i always find this forum helpful. I'll still looking into ECC ram :)

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
i always find this forum helpful. I'll still looking into ECC ram :)

ECC is important for data integrity and 24/7 stability, but not so much in a creative workstation. As 16GB of ECC is going to be £115 I'd stick with what you have bought if you are using it for image, video or audio work.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
i have installed 1 of the 4GB stick and it says ok

Yeah, you should remove the non-ECC module.

Also you will run into troubles like that. You must install memory in pairs for your machine.

So just out of curiosity is the single unpaired 4GB module still installed? If so how much and what have you been using your mac for mostly? Any crashes or problems?

Just curious. :)

manowar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
So just out of curiosity is the single unpaired 4GB module still installed? If so how much and what have you been using your mac for mostly? Any crashes or problems?

Just curious. :)

i now have 2 4GB sticks installed and i've had 0 problems. I use the Mac for Final Cut, Garageband and iPhoto

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
i now have 2 4GB sticks installed and i've had 0 problems. I use the Mac for Final Cut, Garageband and iPhoto

Ah, you added a second stick to match it? Ya, there should be no problems with that then. Your screenshot above shows a single 4GB stick which is what i was asking about. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.