Memory for old Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joltyness, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Joltyness macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Long story short, I've had this 15" MBP for about four years now. It's still running pretty well, especially considering its age. The only time it has issues is when I have multiple programs open that are fairly intensive (it doesn't like it when I have Photoshop and World of Warcraft open at the same time, for example).

My question is... Is it worth it to upgrade the RAM in my machine? Right now I'm sitting at 2 gigs, and I'm considering upgrading to 4. Will it boost my performance significantly? Thanks, and sorry if this question is newbish.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

More RAM should certainly help. To verify how much RAM you can add:
    You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
    • By visiting EveryMac.com: Actual Maximum RAM
    • By using Mactracker
    • By entering your serial number here to find specs for your model. (Be aware that some models can use more RAM than Apple shows. Check EveryMac or MacTracker to verify.)

This may also help: Performance tips for Mac OS X

3. VMMan macrumors 6502a

What's the alternative to the RAM upgrade? Getting a new Mac, installing SSD? I'd get a new Mac if you could, but going from 2 to 4 GB will probably be of some benefit.

4. Aliascognito macrumors member

http://www.crucial.com/uk/mac/index...le_uk&ef_id=up1O90wbpGEAAI23:20111228024530:s

These guys have a system scanner which will scan your system to find which RAM you need... Then they can sell you it

5. Joltyness thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd love to get a new Mac, but I do not have the funds to do so (the only reason I have a MBP in the first place is because my college gave it to me for free).

Thank you for your answers, everyone.

6. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619