Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maise

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2003
Basic question, but I want to be sure I am spending my money on a good product. I have heard crucial is the best place to buy ram. Can anyone comfrim that or point me in the direction of a better retailer. Also, what type of memory is best for my 15" 1.25 PB. Thanks for your help.

sparky76

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
I cannot do better than to recommend crucial.com. Both my PB's are running on crucial RAM, with no problems. As for the type of memory, just use crucial's memory locator on their website.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I agree with Sparky http://www.crucial.com is the only place to buy Ram reliably. The PB's are really choosy about what Ram they work with. I purchased two lots of memory from another vendor, which in theory met Apples specs for the Powerbook, but it would not even boot. Had to return the memory and bought from Crucial instead, worked no problems.

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
I bought 512MB for my new PB a week ago with free 2day fedex shippping. Got it installed under 30 sec and up and running. Sometimes I forget I spent $101.xx at crucial.com.
I don't know whether they still offer 2 day free ship, but I would still have bought it at crucial just to have the stick compatible FOR SURE.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Does Crucial Ram play nice with the Apple ram? If I upgrade the ram in a Powerbook to 512 and get a 512 from crucial, will they work together. I'm sure they will but I would like to hear from someone who has tried it.

maise

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2003
Just as a follow up...I ended up buying the RAM from crucial and had no problems installing it. But now my computer freezes everytime I start up needing a reboot and I have had my first kernel panick in the year I have owned my computer. Needless to say, I am not very happy at all.

stoid

macrumors 601
maise said:
Just as a follow up...I ended up buying the RAM from crucial and had no problems installing it. But now my computer freezes everytime I start up needing a reboot and I have had my first kernel panick in the year I have owned my computer. Needless to say, I am not very happy at all.

You may have gotten a lemon RAM stick. I went through 3 from a company called Transcend before I got one that worked.

maise

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2003
I know this isnt the hardware support forum, but what should I do. Does this mean it is faulty and I need to send it back. Is there anything I should say or ask for when I call them tomorrow. I REALLY do not want to keep on receiveing ram stick after ram stick that don't work with my computer. Any advice would be appreciated.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
OWC Ram By FAR the BEST

The only ram I have ever purchased for my various macs has come from Other World Computing. They are not the cheapest, but they are the best. When xBenched, OWC DDR333 Ram on a 17 inch powerbook consistently scored in the middle to upper 900s in Allocate. Not only does the ram perform fast, but it has never had any compatibility issues with any macs I have ever owned. OWC's ram has always performed flawlessly. Check them out. :)

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
maise said:
I know this isnt the hardware support forum, but what should I do. Does this mean it is faulty and I need to send it back. Is there anything I should say or ask for when I call them tomorrow. I REALLY do not want to keep on receiveing ram stick after ram stick that don't work with my computer. Any advice would be appreciated.

How long have you had the ram? If this is a recent purchase it's no prob to get RMA and get a new stick from crucial...don't even sweat it they're really good about that. You might have a faulty stick, it happens.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
James Craner said:
I agree with Sparky http://www.crucial.com is the only place to buy Ram reliably. The PB's are really choosy about what Ram they work with. I purchased two lots of memory from another vendor, which in theory met Apples specs for the Powerbook, but it would not even boot. Had to return the memory and bought from Crucial instead, worked no problems.

Really.

I've slapped cheap ass 3rd party generic RAM from 18004memory in the last two laptops I've had and it's never failed or not recognized on me once.

Before that I went with OWC though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.