Memory for PowerMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nimraynn, Nov 26, 2013.

1. nimraynn, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

nimraynn macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have taken a quick look at the FAQ sticky, but still not 100% sure on this.

I have salvaged an Apple PowerMac G5 that was about to be scrapped at work. It's a PowerMac7,3 according to System Profiler, and it's a dual 2.0GHz G5 model (2004, I think?).

From what I understand, it takes 184-pin PC3200 400MHz memory with a max of 1GB per slot.

We don't really use Mac's at work, these were passed on from another department, but I've been raiding the stock and we have some spare 1GB sticks from our old HP Compaq D530 machines, which is Kingston RAM labelled as KTH-D530/1G. From what I can work out, it is 184-pin PC3200 400MHz memory.

The sticky mentions about it being low density though, and I'm struggling to find out if it is low density.

I paired two sticks in the Mac last night and they didn't work, it didn't even recognise they exited... but knowing the kit we have, it's highly likely that the sticks were dead anyway. The machine isn't near me to test these at the moment, but will be having a go this evening with them.

Does anyone know if these will, or more should, work with my PowerMac?

Thanks,
    Mike.

2. wobegong Guest

You can go here and use the advisor tool to see what memory your mac should be using - You can also enter the model of the donor Compaq machine and see if it is the same. http://www.crucial.com/uk/

3. nimraynn, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

nimraynn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I took a look and it wasn't as useful as I was hoping though, as it looks like the HP Compaq D530 takes PC2700 or PC3200 memory, but as it came with PC2700 from factory, that's all it wanted to tell me about.

In the end, I just hoped for the best and tried it, as I managed to salvage 12x 1GB sticks. The first 8 I tried work perfectly by the looks of things and I'm now running a healthy 8GB :)

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help :)

4. tampasteve macrumors 6502