Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
Hi Folks,

I know that Santa Rosa isn't *quite* out yet but I was wondering if anyone could answer a question nevertheless... I am fairly sure that it will be possible to use DDR2 667MHz PC5300 memory (as used in the current Macbooks) in a laptop which uses the Santa Rosa chipset but will there be a performance hit (speed, battery life etc.) or any other drawbacks to doing so? I am looking to buy a Macbook in the next month or two but have the opportunity to pick up some memory now fairly cheap and wanted to make sure that it would be OK before spending my cash on it. Of course, if the Macbooks don't get Santa Rosa for a while (or at all) then this is all academic really... :(

Thanks to all who reply,

Alec

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
All of the preliminary Santa Rosa based hardware I have seen still uses DDR2-667. Is there any reason you need to buy the RAM now?

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
All of the preliminary Santa Rosa based hardware I have seen still uses DDR2-667.

Thanks, I had a feeling that would be the case.

Is there any reason you need to buy the RAM now?

At the moment I can get it for about £23 per stick shipped (so £46 for 2Gb) compared to about £36 per stick (£72 for 2Gb) normally. That's my only reason really.

Alec

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
That is pretty much the same price here stateside. I do not see any increase in prices short of a natural disaster.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
That is pretty much the same price here stateside. I do not see any increase in prices short of a natural disaster.

I'm hoping there won't be an increase but the offer is time-limited so I am considering buying while I can save around £26 on the deal. To be honest, I will probably be fine with 1Gb of RAM in the short term but I would like 2Gb at some point.

Regards, Alec

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
To the best of my knowledge slower RAM will work on a DDR2 bus, strangely enough, but you will be stuck running at the lower then recommended speed.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
i personally would not buy the ram first. there is always teh possiblility that the newer models might use a different ram stick.

think about the fact that ram is dirt cheap right now. why are they doing that? quite possibly because it's going to be obsolete with the next generation coming out. somehow it seems that every time i buy a new computer, the ram from my old one just won't work. -- different pins or speed or something.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
i personally would not buy the ram first. there is always teh possiblility that the newer models might use a different ram stick.

think about the fact that ram is dirt cheap right now. why are they doing that? quite possibly because it's going to be obsolete with the next generation coming out. somehow it seems that every time i buy a new computer, the ram from my old one just won't work. -- different pins or speed or something.
Prices are down due to the saturation of the market of the current DDR2 SODIMM standards of 533 and 667.

It is still extremely rare to see DDR2-800 in the SODIMM form factor right now.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
Prices are down due to the saturation of the market of the current DDR2 SODIMM standards of 533 and 667.

It is still extremely rare to see DDR2-800 in the SODIMM form factor right now.

extremely rare, true -- but it would be alot less rare if the new macs implemented it, and that's the sort of thing apple would do! wouldn't it be nice to have DDR2-800 in an upgraded mb/p? they won't stay with 667 forever and why not up the specs on the newer model?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
extremely rare, true -- but it would be alot less rare if the new macs implemented it, and that's the sort of thing apple would do! wouldn't it be nice to have DDR2-800 in an upgraded mb/p? they won't stay with 667 forever and why not up the specs on the newer model?
No one else seems to be doing it...

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
after all -- they did drop a bomb on us when c2d came out and they included wireless "N" and 3 Mb memory capability. pissed a lot of people off that had just bought macbooks the week before

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
after all -- they did drop a bomb on us when c2d came out and they included wireless "N" and 3 Mb memory capability. pissed a lot of people off that had just bought macbooks the week before

Yeah! They should never upgrade their products!

But seriously, prices will probably go up, then down again. They fluctuate all the time. Just wait until you see what's going to be used in the new laptops, then decide to buy more RAM or not.

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore

You can't just say "hey, we're using DDR2-800 ram now. You guys should too."

DDR2-800 isn't supported by the current chipset. Most desktop chipsets don't even run their memory at 800MHz out of the box without overclocking.

Santa Rosa is going to have an 800MHz bus, so chances are good that we'll see 800MHz DDR2 ram being used in laptops in the future, but Santa Rosa can also clock-back the bus to save power. 667MHz ram will run fine on Santa Rosa, just as 533MHz ram runs fine right now.

With 800MHz FSB support in Santa Rosa we're going to see RAM manufacturers have a reason to put out 800MHz SO-DIMM chips. There was simply no reason to before (noone would buy it).

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Don't buy now. Best case is you save a couple of bucks. Worse case, you just wasted money on RAM you may not even be able to use, or will take a hit with when using. Unless they have a no questions asked money back guarantee, or you're planning on buying a discounted older model after the new ones come out, you should wait.

AlecEdworthy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Leicestershire, UK
The OP stated a price in pound sterling which led me to believe that it was a shop/site in the UK, for example, Amazon.co.uk.

Correct, I am in the UK. I am looking at buying from eBuyer.co.uk and using the offer from Google at the moment (£10 off orders over £30). A stick of Corsair 1GB DDR2 667MHz can be bought for £33.01 (inc. shipping) at the moment, so after the £10 discount this becomes £23.01 or £46.02 for two saving quite a bit over prices elsewhere.

Still can't decide whether to buy now or not... :confused:

Alec

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.