Memory for the 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spadoinkles, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

May 5, 2011
    Hey guys,
    I will be purchasing a new 2.4GHz 15" Macbook Pro next month and am currently looking at my options for my memory upgrade.

First off, getting from Apple. I won't even go there unless I become a rich, spoilt idiot overnight.

2. Kingston HyperX, 2x 4GB at 1600MHz. I understand only the higher-specced 15" is compatible with 1600 whereas the base model only handles 1333, but both come standard with 1333? This is priced at NZ$159 (NZ$1 = US0.80 approx). Lifetime warranty.

3. Crucial (somethingmajigggggggy), 2x 4GB at 1333MHz. I understand they definitely have a better brand reputation, but warranty is only three years (and anyone who knows me will know I keep my stuff for a looooooong time). This is priced at NZ$219.

What to do?
    Also, I'm planning on running an Optibay and have more or less given myself two options:

1. Apple's 128GB SSD + a 500 or 750GB WD Black (or similar 7200rpm drive)
    2. Intel 310 120GB SSD + Apple's 750GB 7200rpm drive (quite a lot more expensive)

Advice appreciated! :D

Last but not least - what are the advantages of the in-flight magsafe adapter? I currently power my Whitebook straight off an American-style two-pin adaptor mounted in the armrest of a large majority of planes I frequently travel on (which for some reason, almost always B777-300). I guess there's no point if what I'm doing right now serves the job?

Thanks! :)
  2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

Oct 31, 2010
    Hamilton, Ontario

i dont think they deliver internationally but look for these in your local websites or shops, no issues with this ram in my MBP
  3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2009
    Redford, MI
    I got the same Corsair memory, but I ordered mine through Amazon. It's working perfectly in my MBP.
  4. Spadoinkles thread starter macrumors regular

May 5, 2011

Given the fact Kingston's HyperX is faster (1600MHz) and about 25% cheaper in my country, should I pick that over the Corsair for the sake of price, speed and warranty, or stick with Corsair for brand reputation?
  5. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Mar 2, 2010
    Right. Most AASPs sell Macs.

Useless. -->

Better! ;-)

You can use also the standard Kingston Elpida 1333 MHz memory (click me).

The cable for the optibay has only a proper shielding for SATA I frequencies. So SATA II & SATA III (higher frequencies) solutions are more or less unstable.

7200 rpm drives are NOT always faster:

Make sure you buy only 9.5 mm drives, because they have a higher storage density. -->
  6. Spadoinkles thread starter macrumors regular

May 5, 2011
    1. Yeah. I meant the RAM.

2. No 'standard' Kingston here. The only ones I can get hold of in New Zealand are the HyperX, and Crucial.
    HyperX are cheaper, faster and have lifetime warranty hence I was asking if I should pick those, or the Crucials who really only have their brand reputation on their side.

Could you explain a little more about the Optibay cable? It won't be specifically MCETech's one, quite possibly a similar caddy cheapo thing if it does the job.

And yes, 9.5mm drives of course!
  7. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2011
    Yes why not? Go for it! Waiting for my second unit to arrive(sold my first MBP)! :)

My first Hyper X cost 140USD and thats just 3-4 months ago...Just ordered from amazon for 75 bucks!
    If you are looking for SSD check out Samsung just released series 830! Good Luck