memory hog?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cantthinkofone, Dec 28, 2007.

1. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

is leopard a memory hog? i have a 1GB of ram and i'm running 3 programs and have 170MB free. itunes, thunderbird, safari, and mercury messenger. WTF OVER!!?

[​IMG]

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Look at your inactive RAM as well.

More RAM is never a bad thing. I wouldn't use anything less then 2 GB. I just ordered 4 GB.

3. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

inactive is 204MB. i have a ibook so i can only have 1.5GB in there. i hope to get a mbp or a imac sometime this spring. i just can't believe how much resources it uses. even with all the windows closed idling. hungry little bastard...:rolleyes:

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Might be best to just hold off then. I forgot to mention Page Outs Vs. Page Ins as well.

5. RubberShoes macrumors regular

ive only got 1GB in my 24" 2.4GHz imac and the thing still screams!

I would buy more if you can, I would have 3GB if the damn Taiwanese ram actually worked...but leopard if anything runs faster and I believe does a terrific job managing many programs at once with the hardware its got...

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Taiwanese RAM worked perfectly for me. I ordered 2x2GB sticks of very low-priced SO-DIMMs from this company here in Japan selling Taiwanese made memory: (page is in Japanese and for the 1GB stick because the 2GB is a very new product)

http://www.mustardseed.co.jp/umax/spec_castorsoddr2_667.html

They only advertise it as "Windows OS-compatible" and make no mention of Apple at all but I took a chance because it was only about $70.00 and it turns out it works perfectly. Now my aluminum iMac is humming with 4GB.

Man, what a difference it makes too. The system seems to boot faster and as far as running Vista in Fusion now with 2GB alloted to both Leopard and Vista it is night and day faster. Vista runs as fast in Fusion now as it does in Boot Camp and Leopard runs as fast as ever even with Fusion running.

7. RubberShoes macrumors regular

wow thanks...ill def. give that a try...

I bought mine from NewEgg on black friday, stuck it in and the machine didnt like it at all, started beeping 3 and 5 times in a row...so returned it and have just been using 1GB since leopard still runs very nicely on it...

8. slooksterPSV macrumors 68040

slooksterPSV

Safari has memory leaks bad. I'll say this one; I've used only Safari viewed like 200 web pages, did a few downloads and my RAM was sitting at 12MB with like 600MB Inactive. So I quit safari and reopen it to free up RAM

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306396

This might be relevant.

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Sorry to hear that but glad I didn't read it before I rolled the dice on my RAM or I might not have gone for it.

That's one good thing about Apple as opposed to the Windows world. Macs make it very clear if they don't like the RAM you install and will either beep like yours did, refusing to boot or just not show the stick they don't like at all.

In my experience building PCs they would often run, but run like crap with RAM they didn't like and crash all over the place.

11. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

I definitely agree. Safari is my favourite Mac web browser and 3.0.4 for Tiger was/is wonderful but Safari 3.0.4 for Leopard really does seem to suck up memory.