Memory Hog?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m7a7d, Apr 23, 2010.

1. m7a7d macrumors newbie

Hello,

I've noticed in the past that after a few days of use, the free memory on my 2009 MBP gets really low. I notice this because when I get bored I snoop around the activity monitor - I actually don't notice any type of sluggishness. I'm simply inquiring about this.

What I've done in the past is simply just reboot my system. This seems to work, but I just restarted my system last night, left it overnight and now according to activity monitor my free memory is at 12 mb!

During the screenshot, I have Firefox with two tabs opened, iChat and iTunes. That's it.

Any input would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Inactive = free

Safari is currently using 836MB of my 4GB, but I still have 1GB of spare though. You might want to upgrade to 4GB

3. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

Your memory is there to be used so don't worry! Your actual free memory is inactive + free. The inactive memory is ready to be freed but why free it when it might be needed?

Although what i don't understand is you have used 1.97GB but only have 1.75GB in your system... :S

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Activity Monitor thinks that everything but free is "used", meaning that inactive is also included.

5. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Perhaps that's from shared memory being used by the integrated GPU?

EDIT: Nevermind, Hellhammer is probably right...

6. Scrib macrumors member

Looks like your VM file is getting hit pages in/out. Clear sign you need more memory. :)

7. m7a7d thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a feeling it was something like that! Thanks everyone for your quick responses! :D

EDIT: I'm gonna get more memory. Just curious - if I bring my system to Apple, how much will it cost me to get an extra 2GB installed? I can call them, but I figured I'd inquire here since we're on the topic already.

8. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

The integrated GPU reserves .25GB (256MB) of system RAM. Activity Monitor reflects this.

9. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

Underneath the breakdown of the ram being used it tells you how much is being used in total which should be total - free. So in this case 1.75 - 0.0265 = 1.72. but it says 1.97 which is especially peculiar considering it thinks 1.97GB of ram is being used out of a total 1.75. :s

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I have iMac with dedicated GPU so it's not using my RAM but I currently have:

150MB free
    450MB locked/wired
    2.4GB active
    1GB inactive

In use: 3.85GB