memory iMac 24 inch 2009

Discussion in 'iMac' started by artivideo.nl, Dec 16, 2013.

1. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

I updated the OS to Maverick (coming from snow leopard). Consequently all the 4 GB of RAM memory are now occupied by the system (snow leapard only used 2 GB) and probably this is the reason why the iMac became much slower. However this iMac can be handle 8 GB. Does anyone know if this configuration has standard 1* 4Gb or 2*2GB RAM. I know you will say just open de iMac and look but can anyone tell me what the policy of Apple is or what they observed in their iMac ? Probably 2* 2 Gb so you have to exchange both memory cards right ?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The RAM in your iMac is configured with only two slots. You can replace your two modules of 2 GB each with two modules of 4 GB each.

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

3. artivideo.nl thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I know it has two slots and as I understand from your answer it has standard 2* 2 Gb and not 1* 4 Gb and one empty slot ?

4. Carlos840 macrumors member

I still use my 2009 3.06mhz 24" imac.

It came with 2*2gb which is standard.

I upgraded to 2*4gb back when i was still using snow leopard and even for standard internet browsing and daily use it made a huge difference.
    It runs mavericks great, nothing to complain about.

Considering the small price of the 8gb i would say it is really worth doing.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it comes with 2 * 2GB.

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

It's not, my old 2009 4gb with Mavericks is running very fast*. But I did a completely new install and wiped everything that was on it before, so I'd advise you do the same,fresh install, restore user data from backup. though an extra 4gb would not be a bad thing to have.

* I don't actually have it any more but it's with a relative and still running fast, used it last week.