Memory Intrusion Errors - Apple Hardware Test Failure

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Archon Gold, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

Well, My 27" Core i3 iMac has been having major instability issues ever since a few months after I bought it (been very busy so was unable to worry about it at the time) and I've been getting Memory Intrusion Error crashes all over the place preventing my work from getting done (LUA coding for Garry's Mod Servers).

[​IMG]

Today I couldn't even initialize the application so I threw in the Apple Hardware Test for an extended test and 20 minutes later it failed with the following error:

[​IMG]

I got on the phone with Apple Tech Support so that they could add this to my ticket as I called them on the 4th of June to make my first report of these instability issues. Unfortunately they would not tell me anything about this error, does anyone know what it means?

I'm really fed up with this computer now, I've had to reinstall Mac OS X about 12 times now due to the hard drive partitioning failing and I even had to go as far as setting up a 2TB Windows server to backup my files via Time Machine which has saved my ass about 6 times now.

Either way, I'm typing off of this computer right now hoping Safari doesn't crash until Time Machine completes it's backup at that time I am going to zero out my entire hard drive and do a fresh install so that I can drop it off at my local Apple Certified Reseller for testing.

Needless to say I am a very unhappy Apple customer right now, I'm going to switch over to my trusty PowerMac G4 (They NEVER fail!) until the machine is done being tested.

Also got a montage of pictures of the computer failing.

[​IMG]

This is what it looked like after the partitioning scheme failed (this happened about 8 times)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seriously, Has anyone ever had this many problems with their 27" iMacs?

2. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

Your hard disk is failing

It is now time to back up your data and replace the hard disk.

3. sth macrumors 6502a

Looks like hard-drive failure.

Nothing to get upset about. Just get it replaced under warranty and you'll be fine. All hard-drives will eventually fail, some sooner, some later.
    If you never had this problem before, you were just lucky.

4. Archon Gold thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you think that the Hard Disk failing could cause Memory Intrusion Errors? I thought that involved faulty RAM.

Either way I'm now running off of my PowerMac G4 for the time being. I'm going to take the iMac into my local Apple Certified Reseller tomorrow.

I did notice that the Hard drive on the iMac was very loud (the actuator made noises like a old hard drive would minus the whining) compared to my original 27" iMac's hard drive (I got that one replaced within 2 hours of opening it due to a scratch on the inside of the screen).

I've backed up all of my data from about 8 months back onto a Windows server so I'm good when it comes to not losing data.

5. sth macrumors 6502a

Depends...
    My first guess would have been the RAM, but your screenshot indicates a disk problem.
    Anyway, a hard-drive that isn't reliable can cause all kinds of weird problems (and so can defective RAM modules).

6. Archon Gold thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, thanks I'll mention that to the service technician when I drop it off tomorrow.

One thing I noticed after putting away my iMac and breaking out the PowerMac G4 is that I never realized how much heat the 27" iMac produced! I used to think that my room was just not being ventilated properly but now it's pretty cold in here.