Memory is low HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sakusha, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Sakusha macrumors newbie

I bought my Macbook Pro last year so it's fairly new with the latest software installed in it, so today I used my computer all day long and I noticed it was acting very slow. I wasn't downloading music etc. All I was using it was for just drawing pictures (on Manga Studio 5 if you must know) so a virus could be out of the question. So after it started acting slow I checked my memory and it was 988 MB on free memory, so immediately I closed ALL programs and turned off my computer. Waited for a few minutes and turned it back on and checked the memory and it was at 905 MB!!? Usually my Mac ranges from 1.40-1.60 GB of free memory.

How do I solve this? What is happening?

2. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

How much RAM does your computer have? Also, open up "Activity Monitor" and click on the "Real Mem" field to sort from highest to lowest, what are the top apps that are taking up the most RAM?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

4. Sakusha thread starter macrumors newbie

I think i fixed it, now when I go to my 'Activity Monitor' and clicked on 'System Memory' I see that in the green text I have 2.00 GB of free memory. :D

But thanks for the help!

----------

I think the reason why it was so low is because I had multiple programs open up at once and Manga Studio 5 already eats a lot of memory enough as it is when it's open. So I just had to give my MacBook time to get it's memory back.

5. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Generally, having various programs open uses more memory :rolleyes:

Also, your MacBook will be using "more" memory for when you open up applications/programs you use regularly, this cuts down on the boot-up time for the given app/program.