Memory is maxed out?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Rolomoto, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Rolomoto macrumors newbie

Running a mac mini and I noticed my memory is maxed out. It doesn't seem that all the processes add up to 16GB. Enclosed is a screenshot of the activity monitor. I just updated java, could that be a problem?
    http://screencast.com/t/pWCBqhUz

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your memory isn't maxed out at all. Read the link below to understand your Activity Monitor readings.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5890

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Are you having an actual problem? - such as obvious slow-downs, or the infamous spinning beach ball when you try to anything at all?

You may have most of your RAM in use, but there's no swap in use, and the memory pressure is quite low (as it should be with 16GB of RAM).
    I should also point out that your system will try to use all available RAM, if needed, and usually is pretty good about doing just that.
    Some folks here say that free memory is wasted memory. I don't know if I really agree with that view - however, I do know that OS X, particularly after Mavericks, will often use whatever amount of RAM you want to have installed, often to make YOUR experience better.
    Bottom line: Your Mac has lots of memory, and it knows how to use it.

4. Rolomoto thread starter macrumors newbie

no, one of my apps said "memory low" and that's what alerted me to it; I haven't noticed any slow down.

5. Rolomoto thread starter macrumors newbie

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Which app?

7. Rolomoto thread starter macrumors newbie

it's called thinkorswim. But now it doesn't say it.

8. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

That's a false alarm, you still have around 10G of RAM available, Mavericks just take the advantage and use most of them for caching to speed up the system. You are far from low memory.

9. Rolomoto thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!:)

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Might help if you close some of those browsers. Looks like you have three web browsers open each with multiple tabs and two playing Flash/Shockwave material. Together those three are eating up a lot of memory.

11. Rolomoto thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, thanks!

12. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Problem could be thinkorswim app.

The program is a Java program. It's been a while since I've seen the particular error, but, Java itself will issue a low-memory type message for itself since one of the invoke parameters you can pass to Java is akin to "request X amount of memory for the program" (there is a relatively low default value if not passed). If the app has been running a long time or using/creating a lot of data, not freeing things, Java might be eating into its own heap of memory and warning that its running low.

13. Rolomoto thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, make sense. I think I closed it and reopened it and the warning went away.

14. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Bingo.

the always famous REBOOT solves about everything (rebooting one program in this case)

15. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Web browser? Not Firefox I hope. Firefox is a memory hog!

I've got one iMac that occasionally has to be warm booted to get it to respond after sitting with Firefox running with multiple tabs open. Sure, it's also probably a Flash/Shockwave problem, but it gets bad... Even my Windows machine losses a lot of its memory due to Firefox.

16. boast macrumors 65816

boast

On the bottom right it shows you 4.5gb is used for your programs and 9gb is stored on your ram from your hard drive for faster access.