Memory is still FULL after deleting and transferring files. HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JemN, Jul 28, 2014.

1. JemN macrumors newbie

Hi
    Yesterday received a message on computer saying that my memory was now full! (after no previous warning) - mac kept stalling and freezing at this point, however was fortunate enough to be able to transfer and remove A LOT OF FILES - All MOVIES/ SHOWS etc

However, it is still showing that I do not have much memory even after removing all of these files. ( I have emptied trash etc)
    I downloaded ONMIDISK SWEEPER and following directions from other help groups and trying to delete files that I KNOW I do not need (been very careful with this and haven't deleted much as am not that great with computers), there is not much change in memory space.

On the activity monitor page it says that kernel_task now has 600mb is that right! From what I understand thats my operating system, so do not delete!!
    But what else can I do!??

Please help!!

Flustered!!!

Jem

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I think you're confusing memory and drive space. Memory is the temporary location files and programs are stored in while they're open and in-use. Drive space is the more permanent location stuff is stored in long-term.

Deleting files from your drive will not free up memory.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is normal for kernel task and not a problem.

Do you happen to have Time Machine turned on? If you do, when you delete files they go into a hidden folder at /.Mobilebackups and still use disk space. This space is supposed to manage itself as the disk gets full, but sometimes it does not. You can read about it here.

If you turn Time Machine off then back on it will zero out the space.