Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
How is the memory controlled in the 6,1 mac pro? It looks to me like the memory interfaces directly with the cpu. I have a machine here that does not recognise many combinations of ram or restarts; and i am pretty sure its the mac, not the ram that is the problem.

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Hello macguru9999,

In the 2013 Mac Pro, one cannot mix "ECC" RAM and "ECC Registered" RAM together. You can use either type, but not both types simultaneously.

Take a quick look at this link:

Good luck!

richmlow

How is the memory controlled in the 6,1 mac pro? It looks to me like the memory interfaces directly with the cpu. I have a machine here that does not recognise many combinations of ram or restarts; and i am pretty sure its the mac, not the ram that is the problem.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Hello macguru9999,

In the 2013 Mac Pro, one cannot mix "ECC" RAM and "ECC Registered" RAM together. You can use either type, but not both types simultaneously.

Take a quick look at this link:

Good luck!

richmlow
These are 4 matching 8gb unbuffered chips : 2Rx8 PC3-14900E-13-12-E3 I dont think they are the problem . I have 2 of them in slots 2 & 4 working perfectly but if i try any other slots the mac will restart, or fail to recognise the same chips....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.