Memory leak in Handy Light app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZZ Bottom, Jul 21, 2010.

1. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

First off, I am not sure if it is possible, but I suspect the notorious Handy Light app I downloaded last night is the cause of excessive battery usage on my iPhone 4. Let me briefly explain.

Downloaded Handy Light last night which was the first app change on my phone in over a week. Every night I switch my phone to airplane mode to conserve battery (which always uses minimal battery consumption).

Prior to going to bed, I used the Handy Light app for a few minutes. However even after switching to airplane mode with over 25% battery life left, I woke up to find my phone completely dead/empty.

I have never had an iPhone run down so quickly, especially on airplane mode. Could this perhaps have been caused by the Handy Light app not being killed off completely in my task manager? Again I had not downloaded or used any other apps out of the typical mail/fb/settings/camera.

Anyone else had this issue? Should I be concerned my iPhone has a power management problem?

2. ncfuser macrumors regular

My phone was dead this morning also.

Downloaded the app and ran it, without setting up the tether last night.
    Thought I killed all processes before I went to bed, but maybe not.

3. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

uhm, isn't handy light the hidden tethering app?

could very well be that the tethering is so 'poorly' coded into the app, that it keeps trying to tether the non-existent (due to airplane mode) connection

but that's just a wild guess.

4. lilo777 macrumors 603

Yeah, it looks like Apple did a poor job in testing this app. Memory leak? Come on!

5. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

dude it was made by a 13 year old kid to illegally sneak tethering into the itunes store.. wtf more do you want?

6. ZZ Bottom thread starter macrumors 6502a

interesting to see that I was not the only one that had this issue.

For the record I am not trying to create negative buzz on this app, just establish whether it may or may not be the culprit for my excessive battery usage.

7. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

Not to worry. I'm sure he'll push out a bugfix release shortly :rolleyes:

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

9. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Using the 3G radio is very power expensive. I don't think that Handy Light has a memory leak, but it might be helpful if someone analyzed iProxy's code to see if there is one there (I might be wrong on this, but Handy Light uses iProxy, right?)

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

there is nothing poorly code in there, it is a simple "proxy", there is nothing really revolutionary about it (the cool part was that made it to the AppStore)

11. Mike Reed macrumors regular

Remember, you're using both the 3G radio as well as the WiFi radio at the same time when tethering with this app. It's possible that whatever code is responsible for this functionality is overriding power conservation measures iOS usually employs.

12. Sinfire macrumors regular

Not likely since the app was pulled from the app store last night.

13. ZZ Bottom thread starter macrumors 6502a

As I mentioned in my initial post, not only was I exited out of Handy Light, but my iPhone was put into airplane mode.

I am well aware that tethering will consume much more energy than usual, but I was not referring to my battery consumption while tethering.

14. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

thats why he put the little emoticon there...