Memory Leak iOS4 3G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Amon37, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Amon37 macrumors regular

I have a 3G JB with iOS4

With phone and safari the only processes running and browsing the net I can see my memory slowly draining, until it gets to 3MB then the springboard crashes.

I have no multi-tasking, no wallpaper, backrounder is not running winterboard not installed.

my first JB i used an old backup, thinking that may be the issue, I restored a fresh phone and JB again with the same issue.

2. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Did you ever install rock? I heard that created memory leaks a while back.

3. DarkCloud2015 macrumors member

DarkCloud2015

I have the same issue, with wallpapers enabled. I just re-JB to disable wallpapers to see if that helps. Got to the point that I couldn't answer a call because Phone app would crash.

4. TheDoty macrumors newbie

TheDoty

Do you think that same memory leak exists even if the phone has been jail broken? My iPhone 3g with iOS 4 exhibits all of the problems of a memory leak over time ><

5. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

6. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

thanks for your helpful comment, im sure we will try that.

What i would have done, when i get that is shut down and restart. not the best solution, but that paired with imemory enhancer, tends to help.

7. Amon37 thread starter macrumors regular

imemory enhancer? haven't heard of that one.

No I've never had rock installed.

8. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

OK if I were you i would set up as new and start all over.
    But this time, find some unnecessary launch daemons and constantly running things in the phone. With these taken away your phone should run amazing on iOS4. I would search in the hack sections(itouch too!) for the most recent post using "deamons" to find what and where im talking about. Goodluck!

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

LMAO:D
    Yep, either a bucket or a pan would do.

10. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

A cup just wont cut it.

11. DarkCloud2015 macrumors member

DarkCloud2015

Disabled wallpapers, and got my iPhone back! No more crashes or hangs. But, no multi-tasking or wallpapers.

I think it's time to upgrade :D

12. Amon37 thread starter macrumors regular

After imemory enhanced installed last night I've had zero sprngboard crashes related to memory, although checking mail through lockinfo is a different story.

13. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Did you try that thread i suggested? Supposedly you can have all that if you take off simple things like shadows

14. Amon37 thread starter macrumors regular

yes I did rename all the files using I file and I'm sure that helped too. I also removed some of the launch deamons and some language packs.

15. eelpout macrumors regular

eelpout

I don't know if there is a *leak* per se, but there is a definite downward trend of available RAM until there is less than 5 MB, at which point everything gets sluggish and apps start to quit. IMO this is more common than with OS 3.1.x. I notice this a lot when running a web browser, like iCab or Atomic; they always seem to simply run out of enough RAM to function.

Quitting apps via SBSettings seems like a fruitless task as it doesn't take long for all the RAM to be used again (Apple apps like Mail are always relaunched if you have automatic fetching set. Try going to manual to save a little memory.).

I've gone back to having Apple's multitasking off and using Backgrounder when necessary. That seems to leave more available RAM on the 3G.

16. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Your wrong here. The Mail, Phone and iPod pps open differently than that. I hear when you open phone, it launches ipod or vice versa. I think you can fix this through some cydia packages or SSH.