Memory Leak on iP6+ ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mainomega, Nov 5, 2014.

1. mainomega macrumors 6502

Alright guys,

I own and use a 6+ 64GB and a 6 64GB. Both have been restored and setup as new phones over 4 times on itunes DFU 8.1 these are my problems with my 6+.

Lets say I'm three pages down in my e-mail box, I open safari to check out an article, go to Alien blue (reddit) and scroll down 6 pages, and open Pandora and listen to some music. When I go back I go back to Mail it defaults back to the main mailbox and looses my place (3 pages down). I go to Alien Blue and it seems to reload all the way to the top. Sometimes Pandora will skip a millisecond. I tried the Tumblr app and same thing happens, I'll just scroll down a bunch switch apps, and when I come back.... reset to the top.

I've put the 6+ and 6 side by side and repeated all the keystrokes (using my finger) and the 6 will always keep my spot in Mail, always stay where I was in Alien Blue, and Tumblr

Sometimes maybe once every two days a program will crash on the 6+ but everything runs fine on the 6. It seems to me like a memory leak or some other issue with the 6+. I know people complain about the lack of memory on the 6+ but is anyone else seeing this on their 6+?

It is really ruining my experience specialyl when it looses my spot in my Mail box as it have to search for the messages pretty much all the time.

Any ideas? Help? Got the phones on launch day.

2. kepler20b macrumors 6502

the 6+ is perfect. you can have 200 apps in the background and it wont crash.

this is what i've learned browsing macrumors.

truth be told, those people are lying.

Clear out your background apps every now and then and it will stop crashing and refreshing.

3. DiggityBiggity macrumors 6502

DiggityBiggity

4. mainomega thread starter macrumors 6502

All 6+?

I repeat all the steps with my 6 next to the 6+ and I see no problems with the 6.

5. Col.bris macrumors newbie

I suspect some apps you are using have not been upgraded

6. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

This is just a RAM issue. Apple kinda crippled the 6 Plus by only putting 1 GB of RAM in it.

A lot of people in here are in denial about this, but it's apparent by using the new iPad Air 2 with 2 GB of RAM. Multitasking on that device makes "multitasking" on the iPhone 6 Plus a joke.

7. WilliamG macrumors G3

Yep, agreed. I have a 6+ and iPad Air 2 and the difference is ridiculous. The 6 line is severely crippled by comparison.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It is what it is and you have to take it or leave it.

Complaining will not fix it. Most a very happy, sorry you are not.

9. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

The 6+ uses more RAM due to the higher resolution on the display. That's probably why you see this problem on it and not the 6.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Probably because the increased overhead required by the 6+. I bet if you push the 6 harder you'll see similar issues. Memory leaks are a software issue, not hardware. Software or the OS, is failing to release memory it requested. The OS is failing to re-allocate the memory back to the heap. It has nothing to do with hardware, though in this case the hardware is illuminating the software issue.

11. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

Yup since the device only has 1GB of RAM, just close off some apps when not in use to compromise.

12. mainomega thread starter macrumors 6502

I've always upgraded every year starting with the 3G and can honestly say i'm disappointed with the quality on the 6+ this year.

So in conclusion ALL 6+ suffer from this in one way or another ? It wouldn't be worth my time trying to talk to an apple store Genius about it ? Also the vibration is LOUD but I think that is really all 6+.

13. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Truth be told, I don't have this issue. I opened all of my apps(about 30) and switched back and forth between them and they all kept my spot except Safari. :rolleyes: If I closed 2 apps, switched back and forth, then went to Safari, Safari didn't reload.

14. DiggityBiggity macrumors 6502

DiggityBiggity

The only apps I have that reload I think are PROGRAMMED to reload. Star War Commander for example... or gMail. I have a similar experience to you, my phone is running great.

15. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Not convinced. There is still a hard limitation on what you can have cached, and with 1gb of RAM that's a low, low limit. Software can only help so much, at some point you get to the point where you just simply need more memory. There's no getting around that.