Memory Leak on my iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by seenemo, Jan 7, 2012.

1. seenemo macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My iMac seems to be leaking memory. I'll be running iTunes and converting music from flac to alac, and I'll be using my full 8gb of ram. It doesn't seem normal and only happens sometimes. Any suggestions

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It isn't leaking memory. Remember, Mac OS X is a UNIX based system. On UNIX based systems, free memory is wasted memory. The ram should always have something in it. If the system or an application needs more ram, Mac OS X will free some for the application to utilize. Once again, its all normal.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Try using Memtest for OS X. It'll tell you if your RAM is good or not. Also, are you sure iTunes is using the majority of your RAM during that process? Can you post a screen shot of Activity Monitor on the memory tab?

4. lilsoccakid74 macrumors 6502

I wouldnt worry, your ram is just being converted from "free" memory to "inactive memory". inactive memory is being saved by an app when it thinks it could be needed.

5. uRabbit macrumors member

Not sure if I believe all that "free memory is wasted memory" stuff. I notice that when my FreeMemory app displays low numbers, I will get poor performance. Safari, iTunes, Mail... all will perform slower.