Memory Leak wtf?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Panzo, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Panzo macrumors 6502

2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

You've got two gigs inactive. I suspect any lag you're running into is from your torrent client trashing the disk cache with torrent data. It could (should?) do uncached disk access, which would slow it down a little, but not lag everything else.

3. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the swift reply, im going to try to disable cache, should i?

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I personally would try a different torrent client. Azureus (Vuze) has been known to be on the heavy side. I have used Vuze, Utorrent, and Transmission, and have found Utorrent to be my personal favorite. If your computer isn't suffering any slowdowns, I would leave the settings as-is in Vuze and consider a different torrent client when your torrents are done downloading.

5. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, or i might downgrade to an earlier version fo vuze, they used to be kick ass...

Another question why doesnt the memory free up when i quit the application (vuze)?

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

OS X leaves some memory cached for quick access in case a previously running program is opened again. If more memory is needed, OS X quickly frees cached memory. Windows Vista and Windows 7 do the same thing.

7. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

so its normal to be left with 12 mb of free memory while theres 2 gigs inactive?

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

At times it can be, especially when you're using Azureus/Vuze.

9. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your help, i need to keep vuze for various reasons, transport encryption being one, i was wondering what i can do to not make this happen, will disabling cache as the second poster mentioned hurt my system?

10. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

i tried using transmission but it hogs up the inactive memory just as bad as vuze, is there something i can do to stop this or at least control it, its ridiculous. to download a 3.4 gig file @ 500 kbs it takes up 2.11 gb of inactive memory, how can i stop this help please....

11. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Use uTorrent. While I much prefer the windows client (more features), the mac client is amazing. It is the smallest, most lightweight program I've used in years. Give it a shot

12. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is the thing i need a few features i dont knwo if utorrent has them i doubt it does though, i need transport encryption, tracker editing, and bandwidth management, utorrent doesnt offer that... vuze does... how can i fix this?

13. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Utorrent offers transport encryption and bandwidth limiting. I'm not sure exactly what "management" entails. Unfortunately it does not support tracker editing in the current version. I'm not sure if there really is a fix to your problem. You could try the last version of Azureus before they switched to Vuze, but it's always been a pig and I don't know of any fix other than to stop using it.

14. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

15. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

utorrent works okay, but why do my download speds fall if i restrict my upload speeds
    ?????

16. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

HA!

That's normal. What are you setting your upload speed at?

17. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

i really dont understand why utorrent is failing me, if i set it to 10kbps upload limit on a torrent, not only doesnt ti actually limit my upload to 10kbps but if i click it again and again until it actually startys decreasing to 10 kbps my download speeds take a huge hit.. wtf. why must torrenting be so hard.

18. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

Heres the verdict so far until some one helps me out.

Vuze suffers from this problem.

Transmission suffers from this problem.

Utorrent doesnt seem to suffer form this problem but its features are so painstakingly buggy they render it unusable.

xtorrent is a pos period

tomato doesnt have a bundle of features

bittorrent client is lackign feauters i need.

any help is appreciated also if anyone knows of any other clients i could try. thanks.

19. mkaake macrumors 65816

I really don't think you have a problem if you've got 2 gigs of inactive memory - if your computer needs that memory for something, it will transfer it on the fly. When your inactive + unused memory drops down to a small number, then you should start looking for a memory leak...

20. Panzo thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont understand why though, both client devs are telling me this is an os x issue, its just the way ti works, for me computer lamien, it doesnt make sens to only have 12 mb of free ram.... does it???