Memory Leak?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by calviin, Feb 10, 2012.

1. calviin macrumors regular

I have a 32 GB iPhone 4S. I recently noticed that my iPhone started getting full for an unknown reason. The largest apps I have is Infinity Blade 2 and Real Racing 2, both which are at around 1 GB. When I look at the bar in iTunes, it shows that I have 9.4 GB other data. Where could this be from and how do I clear it?

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not a memory leak. Memory leaks do not increase storage use.

3. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I'm curious about that "other data" as well. But takeshi74 is correct, a memory leak doesn't take up storage.

4. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

Oh dang. I have iexplorer but is there anyway for me to check what's taking up all that space?

5. Meanee macrumors 6502a

With Jailbreak and iFile, you can try, but it's not for faint-hearted.

6. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Could be related to memory. Ever heard about swap files?

7. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Swap file on flash device in a mobile operating system? LOL

8. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Though NAND memory is not designed to support swap files, mods can allow it.
    Mobile operating systems can support swap files, of course.

9. 5aga macrumors 6502

5aga

what version os iOS is it running? I had a similar issue in October when they launched - I was running iOS 5.0.

Something kept crashing and the crash log was eating over 2gbs of storage. took it to Apple store and they swapped it out - some kind of hardware issue.

10. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Every OS out there can be made to support swap file. It's just the need for it, that's puzzling me.

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Go to Settings > General > Usage and after a few seconds, all of your Apps should appear in a list showing how much data they are using.

This will include the actual App itself, but if you tap on each App, you can see how much data it is storing as "Documents and Data".

This should work on iOS 5.0 and above.

In the case below, Dropbox has cached some of my files for offline usage.

Attached Files:

12. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Are you sure you realize what swap files are?

The main reason they're not implemented in mobile operating systems is not because you are puzzled about their usefulness.
    It's because flash memory can get its life shortened due to the several times it gets accessed. :rolleyes:

13. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

I'm running 5.0.1. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I did look under my usage list and it shows that music is 3.5 GB, Real Racing is 1.1 and Infinity Blade as 1.1 also. Everything after that is less than 350 MB. What's interesting is that all of my sounds/ringtones also went back to the default. Should I ask Apple to swap it out or should I restore first?

14. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I know what they are and I have to deal with them daily. I actually have to stop Windows XP Embedded from creating them on our custom terminals, since they are running off flash based uDOC (USB Disk On Chip).

My comment was not phrased correctly. Swap files are pretty useful, but I am wondering how useful they would be in a mobile OS.

15. calviin thread starter macrumors regular