Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JW Pepper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2002
My computer is using swap! Anyone know why, I have to re-boot to free up memory. This is very bad.

Screenshot 2021-11-02 at 11.28.25.jpg

Reactions: Nightfury326

JW Pepper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2002
The machine is really slow following upgrage. It seems that Photoshop 2022 may be to blame in some way. In open a 28mb image and trying to crop that image Photoshop is sudenly using 16gm of RAM. Then once I quite Photoshop the ram is not freed up properly. So OS12 is using swap instead of free RAM. This is either a bug in Photoshop or OS12 or both.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I've had the same issue, Monterey 12.01 on a 14" MacBook Pro 16/512 M1 Pro. Control center was taking up 6GB of RAM at one point, rebooting fixed it. Hopefully 12.1 resolves this as otherwise Monterey has been rock solid.

jpdemersPatries

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
M1 Mini here, running 12.0.1, and memory leaks all over the place. MS Word, Firefox, Preview, Finder, and System Preferences (60 GB!) are all blowing up at random moments. Apple really needs to get on top of this quickly!!!

TinyMito

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2021
My "Control Center" process has been randomly growing over 1GB, I had to keep an eye on it every 2 hours and end task it back down to 200-300mb.

This occur when I play a lot of YouTube video, Music that the Media control widget will not dump the cache on expired or played media.

JillStraw

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
NY NY USA
Same problem here (mbp 16" M1 Max 64GB ram) - while using illustrator/photoshop 2021.& 2022, Cricut design space, excel, safari, mail, messages, finder, preview, acrobat dc, clean my Mac X & premiere pro - not necessarily all at the same time. I was also having this problem on my 15" mid-2018 mbp i9 w/32GB ram) on Big Sur, and I think even on Catalina sporadically. (Maybe not Catalina - my memory is horrible, but I know for certain its been happening for a long time).

It is much worse on Monterey - happens at least 2-3x a day. So far just quitting all the apps I can quit, or force quitting finder and relaunching it has seemed to help; this is not the way I want to work! Acrobat and Finder can not possibly need to use 60GB RAM to review 1 document. It's so frustrating - Apple fix this bug soon!!!

Reactions: yitwail

Paulejonesy

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
Premiere is over 150GB this morning on my system. (MBP 14 Max with 64GB RAM) Strangely, I can ignore the "Your system has run out of application memory" dialog and the system ticks along just fine. Memory pressure is just into the yellow. I'm sure it'll fall down at some point, but interested to see just how much RAM Prep eats up before that happens. I'll report back when it all goes t**s-up.

EDIT: It lost it's mind around 170GB of RAM usage.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-08 at 11.43.10.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-08 at 11.43.10.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
has anyone tried 12.1 as a means to solve this? I wonder if it is even being addressed at all in 12.1 yet.

JillStraw

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2021
NY NY USA
Premiere is over 150GB this morning on my system. (MBP 14 Max with 64GB RAM) Strangely, I can ignore the "Your system has run out of application memory" dialog and the system ticks along just fine. Memory pressure is just into the yellow. I'm sure it'll fall down at some point, but interested to see just how much RAM Prep eats up before that happens. I'll report back when it all goes t**s-up.

That is insane!

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013

That's wild. Worst memory leak I've seen anyone have in 25 years of IT.

spainbran

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2021
I'm wondering if this a wrong alert or not. Because any system who would use more than twice the amount of physical ram available would stall.

Reactions: unixfool

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
Haven't experienced any, yet. Been using Monterey since launch day and usually don't hit the swap for a few days after each boot (and even then, it's mostly a few hundred GBs at most).

Do a
Code:
sudo purge
in Terminal and see if it helps.

Reactions: yitwail

Paulejonesy

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
I tried with beta and non beta versions of Premiere, running both natively and in Rosetta. In all cases, it would leak it's way up to about 170/180GB, memory pressure would spike, and Premiere would grind to a halt. Everything accelerated when I ran After Effects along with it. Will try purging memory when I get back to work in the morning. Forgotten about that little trick, been so long since I've needed to do it.

I do feel the alert is misleading. It pops up when Premiere is using around 40-50GB RAM, but doesn't bring it down 'till around 170/180GB. I've never needed to Force Quit anything either. And the system doesn't pause any processes as I have experienced when seeing this dialog in the past.

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
You, like me and almost everyone who uses Monterey,. has the dreaded memory leak bug. Apple will fix it eventually.

Before then there is a simple temporary solution. Presumably you have several desktops on your mac. I have 11 at the moment. Go to one you don’t use often and open up Activity Monitor(its in your applications and on every mac). Leave it open all the time. Click on the column that tells you the use of memory by system processes and apps. Highlight(click on) any that look completely out of control, and then click on the little icon with the x in the middle of a circle. Choose force quit. If its an app it will quit and you will have to restart it. If its a process(weird names mostly) then it will quit but come back almost instantly in the small size it's supposed to be. For me about 15 minutes ago I noticed that the most common culprit, Control Center(which normally uses about 26 mb of memory) was slowly sucking more and was up to 144mb. Earlier this week I found it at 14 GB.

You can keep these little buggers from stealing memory by just keeping an eye on them. Be advised: if WindowServer is up at 1gb then its probably doing it too, and if you force quit that one, your screen will go black for about 5 seconds while the OS puts it back, and then you will have to type in your machine password again.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
is it Control Center itself, or something CC is reporting specifically? Anyway, can CC be turned off entirely somehow?

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
From what I have read online, I think this is a massive issue in Monterey.

Another reminder not to upgrade MacOS until late December. "It just works" is long dead.

spainbran

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2021

Another reminder not to upgrade MacOS until late December. "It just works" is long dead.
From what I experienced, a real memory leak would completely block your system and not allow you to take screenshots and continue to work!
I'm on Monterey and have not experienced this issue.
What is happening in December? A Christmas release without bugs?

I would love to see control center removed from macos, but I'm sure it is not his fault.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

it also isnt even that different than B.S. from a user experience perspective

drpret

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2021
Having the same issue on my iMac Pro 64gb. Need to reboot daily to keep memory from being hogged. I hope they fix it soon. Very frustrating. I wish I hadn't upgraded.....
Mac Memory issue.jpg

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
If anyone is running it, is there any sign of this being addressed yet in 12.1 beta 2?

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
is it Control Center itself, or something CC is reporting specifically? Anyway, can CC be turned off entirely somehow?
Does anybody bother to read the posts in the thread before just posting?

spainbran

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2021
I don't think there is a memory leak, I think something triggers the high amounts which are noticed, whatever the application.
You can not have 250 Gb of ram used on a 32 Gb system and still be able to use your computer.
And CC is just a symptom not the culprit, it's just being called more than is needed.

Reactions: philippe2014
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.