Memory Loss

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jinx1000, Aug 5, 2010.

1. jinx1000 macrumors member

When I respring the Iphone it shows 320 Megs free.
    Over about a day it drops down to about 150 Megs free.

I have backgrounder and remove recents deleting all of my running apps so it appears nothing is running in background.

I've installed
    Lockinfo
    Backgrounder
    Remove Recents
    SBSettings

I think that is it. Along with everything that installs with these files.

Anybody else noticing this.

2. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

It happens. Usually once you JB youll want to restart your phone once a day (at least, I do).

3. jinx1000 thread starter macrumors member

Cool. Not causing any problems. Just wondered about it.

4. tesilential macrumors regular

Some apps do stay in the RAM even if you just open them and close them:

Safari, Settings, Messaging Apps, Phone, Pandora etc.

I can go from 320MB free to 150 by just opening all those apps.

5. dgstan macrumors 6502a

Why not go to SBSetting->Processes and click "Free Up Memory"?

6. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

i found backgrounder to be what was whittling down my ram, id be able to kill apps and get it back up to the high 200's or low 300's but after removing backgrounder it seems to stay more consistently around mid to upper 300's.

that said, with the new mobile substrate update skype and native backgrounding APIs are functioning just fine.

good call on the 'free up memory' push button, i never thought to look under processes, nice to know...

7. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

It's nice to see 200-300 free memory coming from an iPhone 3G, but the iPhone 4 has 512 MB of RAM, how does the iPhone 3GS hold up jailbroken and with all the apps in the background? Is the 3GS like the 3G now that you constantly have to worry about freeing memory because it slows down? When I restart my phone I have around 350MB of free ram, but like others, throughout the day that dwindles down to ~150 or so. How do 3GS owners cope with that since they only have 256MB of ram?

8. dgstan macrumors 6502a

You know what would be cool? If SBSetting ran that "free up memory" process automatically. Say like every time you put your phone to sleep.

9. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

It has to do with the way Apple is handeling their "multitasking". I use to have plenty of memory free with 3.1.3. Now with 4.0 I'm lucky to have 50 MB available. It actually doesn't matter much with Apple's version; whether good or bad remains to be seen.

10. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I usually just check "Processes" and kill what I dont plan on using. Sometimes apps that I dont plan on opening again stays running in the BG. the lowest was about 170MB which is fine but, idk.