Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaycyn94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
One thing I have been wondering about but haven't seen an answer too in regards to memory management:

When the app is closed/terminates, is all memory released (i.e. in a sandbox), or can unreleased memory linger and affect other apps or the iPhone OS?

Just something I was wondering about.

yayaba

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
One thing I have been wondering about but haven't seen an answer too in regards to memory management:

When the app is closed/terminates, is all memory released (i.e. in a sandbox), or can unreleased memory linger and affect other apps or the iPhone OS?

Just something I was wondering about.

I think the iPhone effectively terminates the process so any memory associated with it is freed up.

The things you should probably be doing when catching the applicationWillTerminate is just to write user settings or your current app state, probably don't have to worry about freeing up memory.

jaycyn94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
The reason I asked wasn't to try to cut corners. I was adding an entry to my rootviewcontroller's dealloc method and it just started me thinking if a poorly written app could leave lingering memory around. Wasn't sure so I looked around and asked.

Years of Java programming have rusted up my memory management skills.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.