Memory module throwing ecc errors

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by milk242, Apr 16, 2009.

1. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I have one memory module throwing correctable ecc errors. It doesn't happen all the time and its very few errors, maybe 4 or 5. Every time I reset my computer the errors are corrected (I'm believing this is normal). I noticed in istat that that one particular memory module is always about 5 degrees hotter than the rest. I've already reseated it in a new dimm slot so I can eliminate any dimm slot errors.

Any idea? Should I exchange that one memory module?

2. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

OWC?

3. milk242 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Return the memory it is bad. I also will never order memory from them again.

5. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Why? Isn't OWC memory the exact same stuff that Apple sells?

6. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

No. Especially not the 8x4GB sticks that I received from OWC a few weeks back that weren't even compatible with the 2009 Mac Pro. They claim to have tested the memory only to later inform me that they have a problem where any modules greater than 2 or 4 may have a problem working together. Well that's kind of fracked up after I already had ordered 32GB in 8 modules. Received 8 sticks and only 5 were barely working.. the next day got 2 more and both weren't working. Of course OWC said the problem wasn't that the modules weren't working... it was that any modules greater than 4 produces errors... lol. Crazy. Crucial FTW.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have one RAM slot on my '06 Mac Pro that always registers as 10° hotter than the others, regardless of what size or vendor RAM module is in it. I would get frequent ECC errors on that module.

Using SMC Fan Control, I increased the system fan speed to about 1000 rpm which brings the temps down. Solved the ECC error issue.

8. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

Kinda dumb question, but how do you know if you are getting ECC errors? Do you have to look for them, or does it pop up on the screen to notify you?

Thanks

9. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I agree the cheaper 4GB sticks are not the same as what Apple offers, but the 1GB, 2GB, and more expensive 4GB sticks apparently are.

It's unfortunate about your experience, did they make things right? (refund?) Living on the bleeding edge is not always a smooth road. :)