Memory not completely recognized (sometimes)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iamsilvermember, Mar 24, 2010.

1. iamsilvermember macrumors newbie

Hi all, I just recently purchase a 2006 Mac Pro 1,1.

It came with 1GB (512 x 2 sticks)of memory, I purchase 8GB (4GB x 2 sticks) of ram for it. I checked to make sure I have a total of 9Gb of ram.

However, recently I found out sometime my Mac Pro only recognized a total of 5 GB of ram, when this happen, in Hardware Profile it always appear that I have 2 sticks of 512MB ram and 2 sticks of 2GB ram, instead of 4GB...

Restarting sometimes solve the problem, but sometime it still won't help.

Did I do anything wrong? (I put a pair on tray A and the other pair on tray B, I also tried to switch them, which seems to reduce the times this happen, but still not completely avoid it)

Or is there something wrong with the ram? (But this should not be true because after reboot most of the time it will correctly shows 9GB of ram in total)

Thanks in advance for your help!

*also, as a note, all the stick is always recognized, jsut the those 4GB sticks are sometime recognized as 2GB

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Sounds like bad memory. If they still do it after swapping them around and it's the same sticks, it's most likely the memory but if the memory only behaves a certain way in each slot then the trays could be the problem.