Memory on a MacBook Pro full

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SMargaret, Jul 20, 2012.

1. SMargaret macrumors newbie

Hiya,

I have a MacBook Pro and both memory slots are 2GB and are both almost full.

Is there anything anyone can suggest to make more space, without deleting any of my files. Do I need to buy bigger memory slots or something?

It is making my Mac run very slowly.

Thanks in advance.

S

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I think you are confusing RAM with the hard drive.

RAM (the 2GB in each slot) is temporary storage used running OS X and your applications. It is not used for storing files.
    The Hard drive (typically 80 to 500GB) is permanent storage for your files.

The analogy I've always used is that RAM is like your desk. The bigger the desk, the more things you can work on at the same time. The Hard Drive is like a filing cabinet. You retrieve documents from the filing cabinet, work on them on your desk, then file them away when done.

More RAM will allow you to work on more things, and more complex things at the same time, but it doesn't increase your permanent storage.

3. SMargaret thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.

But I'm afraid I still don't understand how to fix the problem and stop my mac from running slowly.

S

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I think your right, but the OP needs to clarify...You can't have "Nearly Full" RAM slots, so my guess would be the HDD too..OP: Can you clarify?

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Select the Hard Drive (usually called Macintosh HD) and press Cmd+I. That will bring up an Info window that will state used and free space.