Memory prices - how low will they go?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fredr500, Sep 15, 2008.

1. fredr500 macrumors regular

2. kalex macrumors 65816

cheapest i see listed is $108 for the 4GB kit. Not bad.

thanks for the link

3. CBeckmann macrumors newbie

cheapest ive seen is crucial memory and it was 45-50 GBP for 4GB ...but it might not be a saving after postage to the US....

4. StumpJumper macrumors newbie

Can you post a link please, the cheapest I've found in the UK is Kingston Value RAM on dabs.com which costs £98.11 for 4Gb

http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.asp...1150&NavigationKey=11150,4294954338&InMerch=1

The only price I can see on Crucial is £133.94 for 4Gb!!

Back in April I bought 4Gb from OWC and had it shipped to the UK, but with the falling RAM prices it no longer makes much sense buying it from the US.

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

As long as there are lots of computers in production/use that use the same type of ram, causing high demand & mass production, the prices will stay low and/or possibly continue to drop......

Once any certain type of ram ceases to be in high demand, then production is cut back, which in turn makes it more expensive to produce, the costs of which is obviously passed on to the consumers.......

so....watch & learn, and buy it while it's C H E A P :eek:

6. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I've read the mass production and cheap prices of RAM are coming to an end. So I would buy them now. Cause they'll soon get more expensive.

7. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

Bull schisse. Memory will not get expensive.

It was not long ago that 1GB of ram cost an ungodly amount of money. Prices will only go down as long as there is a demand for that type of memory.

8. KítscheñÇinqµe macrumors regular

frys has good prices for a few reputable brands (ocz, corsair,,,). i don't track prices (i guess a spreadsheet would work :) )
    way after lowest price, i bought 24? 32? mb of edo to up a 486 from 8mb. cost about $70 (chain stores didn't stock it anymore).
    about 2003, pc133 was slightly past cheapest. I paid $50 (after $30 rebate) for one 512mb dimm. 512 was largest retailed and near max for my early fsb100-133 mobos. so i use that experience as calibrator...

anyway, i'd guesstimate that ddr2 5400 (4gb, in pairs) has about bottomed out. I think at about $60 (no rebates).
    eventually 8gb (in pairs) will be commonly sold upgrades. but by then, most sales might be ddr3. and 5400 will be more expensive than more common faster ram.
    just now, today's midweek ad. patriot ddr2 pc8500/1066mhz (2x2gb) $100 sku 5613751 (google outpost... might give clue as to the cas, but it's likely patroir's "economy" speed) By xmas i expect ads for 8gb to barely begin. (For hi-end homebuilds, not upgrades. I'm pretty sure i haven't seen any 8gb ads yet.)

SmurfBoxMasta (d4 damager...):
    yeah. you'll get a sense when best prices (for the size you'll need to max your mobo) have flattened. then wait for the nearest big hol (black friday etc), and S T R I K E.

9. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

These are non-ECC modules?

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

FB-DIMM ECC 800MHz is what I saw in the link and description. It's the correct type. :)

11. CBeckmann macrumors newbie

Hi,
    i have just looked it up... its through PC world business ... its pretty much a version of PC world for businesses so they show everything VAT free... I've just though that you probably need to purchase through a business... but though i should let you know anyway because they might have it on the normal PC world website.

I don't get too technical with ram but heres what it is, CRUCIAL 4GB 800MHz DDR2 (PC2-6400) - 2x2GB SO-DIMM, let me know if thats the right thing, it just showed up in the "other customers searched for" section,when buying my iMac (Gets here in a couple of days!!!) and i remembered seeing it there.

http://www.pcwb.com/catalogue/item/CRUC275

I have got the price wrong It's 50.50 GBP but 59GBP with VAT. I don't know if thats cheaper for the US people on here. I think it would work out to about $100?

Anyway let me know if I've been any help... Or if I'm being a plank and have put the wrong item up!

Cheers,
    Connor

12. siorai macrumors 6502

Kinda like the price of gas right? There's a huge demand for it so the prices... never... ermm.. go up? Hmmm...

Prices will go as high as the market will allow. As long as people are willing to pay, the prices can and will rise.