Memory problem on my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kgisofftheheezy, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Kgisofftheheezy macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I am running a totally clean install of mountain lion on a late 2007 iMac. At startup the system runs well but I have been working quite a bit with iTunes in order to clean up my library. The longer I work with the itunes the more memory is used up. I have 4gigs of ram. At boot iTunes uses 154 mb and after 30-45 minutes it is consuming 2gigs of ram and leaving me with 100mb free until my iTunes or finder crashes. When I try to restart or shutdown after this it locks up on a blank white screen.

Any ideas? Hardware tests indicate that my ram and hard drives are all healthy and functional.

Thanks!

Kevin Gunther

2. GGJstudios, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

3. Kgisofftheheezy thread starter macrumors newbie

Screen Shots

Here are my screen shot. Hopefully they will help diagnose my problem. Thanks for the help!

-Kevin

Attached Files:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is nothing in those screen shots that indicate high system resource or memory usage. You have no page outs. You don't have a memory problem at all. If apps are crashing, it's not related to RAM. Mac OS X will use any memory you have available. That's what it's there for. That doesn't indicate a memory problem. The only thing you need to watch related to memory is page outs.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

5. Kgisofftheheezy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for the quick responses. Do you think I should look elsewhere? Perhaps another fresh install? Also would it be helpful to post screen shots after I have been using the system for a little while?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just keep an eye on page outs. If you have minimal or no page outs during normal use, memory isn't your problem. If an app crashes, pay attention to any error messages that may pop up. You might also check Console.app to see if there are any log entries that could shed light on any problems.