Memory Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rawrzilla, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Rawrzilla macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

New user to here, and relatively to mac's as well, but I've been a long time lurker to these forums. I've been having memory performance problems with my macbook pro it's been doing this for awhile, reformatted my computer to see if it would fix it; fixed for a bit but turned back to being sluggish. I really don't have anything downloaded that would bog down the laptop, what it's doing is holding inactive memory from programs no longer in use, I'm aware that it's suppose to do that (from reading around) and release it to new programs thats in need of memory, it just doesn't feel its actually releasing the ram. With it not releasing the ram it's ultimately slowing my computer (I'll upload a screen shot; at the end of this) only thing I can do for it to exactly get some free memory is to purge it. I use the browser Opera a lot an unsure if thats the problem, I've read around as well and found that Opera (12.02) has had memory issues for others. I've also read what I can do to lower it's usage but that doesn't work, as I only need to open a few tabs (10-20) and its back to being slow, I feel purging it is a waste, it just gets back to racking up 750MB of inactive ram.

I'm lost on what to do so I'm thinking of upgrading the memory. My question is I have a laptop I no longer use (Toshiba) with different memory than the website/tool (http://www.corsair.com) suggested I upgraded to the PC3 8500. The other laptop is supporting a 2Rx8 PC2 - 5300S - 555 - 12… I'm wondering if it would be compatible with my macbook pro mid 2009 edition.

Should mention I haven't done a disk repair permissions.

Macbook Specs
    Processor: 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeFore 9400M 256 MB
    Software: OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion)

[​IMG]

2. simsaladimbamba

That Toshiba probably uses 200-pin DDR2 SO-DIMM RAM modules, your 2009 MBP needs 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM modules and you can upgrade your MBP to 8 GB for less than 50 USD via Newegg or similar retailers.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I read somewhere that Mountain Lion needs 2GB just to run, whether that is true or not I would still upgrade your memory, 2GB isn't that much, especially if you have that many Tabs open in a browser, I myself have 1 GB, can not install more but it get sluggish too and have a lot of pageouts.
    Memory is cheap nowadays.
    About whether the memory on the other computer is compatible with yours, I don't know, I would just invest a bit of money to buy some extra memory.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

5. Rawrzilla thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replys any ideas on what I can do until I've gathered money to upgrade the ram.

@JustPerry: The laptop came with snow leopard of course, probably about a month or so ago (possibly more) I upgraded it to ML. Thinking it would fix the problem, didn't have much of a problem with snow leopard but it started to doing what its doing now. Which is the reason it led me to reformat and upgrade OS X.

@simsaladimbamba: I have a 13" Unibody MacBook Pro, does that make any difference to the rams you suggested it would take? and its 43$ for a 8gb kit and 21$ for a 4gb, I was thinking of upgrading to the 8gb.

@T5BRICK: Thanks for the website, noticed after looking at the one simsalad linked it said sometimes it could use 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333. So thats some reassurance.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Your laptop originally came with DDR3 1066MHz RAM, but right now the 1333MHz stuff is cheaper, so thats why I went that route. I actually picked mine up locally at Fry's(I don't know if you have one around you), but Newegg has a pretty good price right now.

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Well some bloated application(s) are taking 744MB of memory when they aren't even using it. Who?

Am new to OSX and notice while Windows will quit the application when u close the last window, OSX doesn't do that, the application remains loaded until I explicitly tell it to quit, it's very disconcerting to us ex-Windows users. It there a preference setting for this? Maybe there is a plus side to how OSX does it?

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

No, you have to quit it manually, even then not all memory is cleared, it's the way it is.

If you have loads of RAM, you can switch VM off but when all physical memory is taken the System crash.
    There is no setting to switch VM of, it's a "hack".