Memory Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Billydelp4, May 1, 2009.

1. Billydelp4 macrumors regular

I took some ram from a buddy of mine and put it in my 2008 mac pro bringing me up to 6 GB. I don't do anything too tough on it outside of FCP and a little bit in photoshop and after effects. My problem comes that by the end of the day all of my memory is eaten up and my swap is being used up to like 2gb. I know that I am not using that much memory since I have the same amount of ram in the macbook pro and it doesn't ever touch the swap.

My thought is that the ram is bad?

any advice would be great.

Billy

2. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Go into "about this mac" and check out the memory to see if its showing any problems. Also check your page ins page outs. If your page outs are 10 percent or more of your page ins, you need more ram.

3. Billydelp4 thread starter macrumors regular

the ram checks out in system profiler. and in hardware tests. and yes the page out are quite a bit more then 10%. I am confused as to how I am able to do all of my work on my MBP with 6GB of Ram perfectly fine but suddenly the MP requires more to do the same work?

someone educate me on this one.

Billy

4. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Check your processes in your mac pro. Another program or a couple are eating up your ram.

5. rikoshay macrumors member

rikoshay

What/where was this RAM from??

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

7. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Just to add, the mac pro runs more processes than a laptop. 2 totally different configurations. The mac pro has allot more things to deal with verses a laptop. Still, check to see if there are other programs running your not aware of. Dashboard is a good place to start.

8. kakarothusain macrumors newbie

You should immediately remove the ram which you have put in your mac pro since it can damage your motherboard..[​IMG]