Memory/Processor tradeoff on the 13"MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macnoob63, May 7, 2012.

1. macnoob63 macrumors newbie

Hi folks,
    I'm considering getting a 13" MBP in the next couple of weeks. I have what could be characterized as moderate requirements in terms of speed. I don't do any graphics, but do use a bunch of other software that can hog up some memory.

My decision dilemma is this: Do I spend on getting the 2.8GHz i7 over the 2.4GHz i5 or get the 8GB memory over the 4GB? Where would my money be best spent, and which would better affect my processing speed?

I've been also reading up on after market memory, and have seen 8GB memory upgrades for as low as 60$. So would a better idea be to get a faster processor and upgrade the memory later on?

Finally, if I do upgrade the memory using after market parts, would it affect my warranty?

Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions.
    SD

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Most users get far more real-world performance boost from adding RAM, rather than a faster processor. Most users don't push their processors to the limit, anyway. You're better off saving money on the processor and buying aftermarket RAM.

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Geekbench scores between the 13" i5 and the 13" i7 differ by about 1500 points. GGJ, keep in mind it's a processor family jump, not just a speed jump what he's asking.

4gb to 8gb memory upgrade will get you maybe 50 points if that.

SSD from HDD will get you nothing in scores, but will make the i5 with an SSD appear to blow an i7 without totally off the map from a perception standpoint.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're right if the OP's goal is primarily to run Geekbench tests. I still stand by my original statement, based on the OP's stated requirements: