Memory Question: Mac/Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maureens, Jul 9, 2008.

1. maureens macrumors newbie

Hello there,

I am new at Mac and quite stupid. Please bear with me as my computer speak is embarrassing.

I have a Mac Mini, it has both Windows and Mac OS (they operate completely independently). A long time ago, I managed to redistribute the memory between each system. I remember vaguely what the window looked like but I can't find it again. It had a little toggle bar that you moved along to adjust the amount of memory on each side. For the life of me I can't find it. I've checked everything on preferences with no luck. If anyone knows what I'm talking about I'd be very grateful for your help.

Secondly, a while ago I downloaded a program that enabled me to see where the memory on my Mac is distributed. I'm trying to find it again but I can't remember what it was called. I downloaded it from a website and once I'd finished with it and closed it it deleted itself.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

2. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

So you are running VMWare Fusion right? If so, all you do is go into Settings after Windows is shut down in the virtual machine. And then you go the memory tab on the left and you can adjust the memory. I also attached what the windows look like:

And also, you see to be having problems installing an application. So when you download an application, it goes to the Download stack in the dock, providing you have Leopard. Click on the downloaded disk image (.dmg) or file and then it will most likely place a what seems to be a hard disk on the desktop and you have to double click on it and then follow the instructions on the screen when it pops up. Usually you have to move the image into your applications folder.

Attached Files:

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sounds like Boot Camp Assistant to me which is in the Utilities folder. simply click on Spotlight in the top right or your screen and search for it as shown below.

[​IMG]

you can only "distribute your memory", or partition your hard drive as its more commonly known, once. you can however remove the Windows partition using Boot Camp Assistant to devote all of your hard drive space back to Mac OS X again as shown in below.

[​IMG]

but if you want to make another bigger or smaller partition for Windows, Boot Camp Assitant usually crashes or you get a Kernel Panic because of the block structure of your hard drive after removing the Windows parititon.

there are two ways to make another Windows parition by either reformatting your hard drive and installing Mac OS X again then make a bigger/smaller partition for Windows or purchase iDefrag and defrag your hard drive.

4. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Oh ok so it was Bootcamp. Makes sense. I got confused by the "memory".

5. maureens thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, thanks a lot for your replies.

I don't have bootcamp, or VMWare Fusion. That window looks kind of familiar but I still can't locate it.

I'll keep looking. Thanks!

6. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Then do you have Parallels? :confused:

7. maureens thread starter macrumors newbie

No. You cannot operate the systems simultaneously, in order to switch to the other you have to restart the computer, hold down the option key and it lets you choose which OS you want to use.

Sorry, I realise this sounds very thick.

8. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Then you definitely have Bootcamp dude.

Does the window look like this:

[​IMG]

9. maureens thread starter macrumors newbie

Aha! So I do have bootcamp.

I have found a window that says "Restore Disk to a Single Volume. Click restore to remove the windows partition to a single-partition Mac OSX Volume."

This is what I want to do, but first I want to make sure I transfer all the memory from Windows to Mac.

Thanks heaps - your help is greatly appreciated.

10. maureens thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, no, the window didn't look like that. But I'm starting to wonder if I originally did it over at the Windows side ...