Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coach4life

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Yellow Springs, OH
I upgraded to 8GB ram when I bought my Mini. Ram arrived before the Mini so I popped in the new ram before first boot up. Put the 2GB in the blister pack and requested an RMA. Returned the ram for the rebate and today was told, "No rebate. This Ram if from a MacBookPro." How could they tell? Is there a difference? Do I have a complaint to take to Apple?

Last edited:

bobfitz14

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
i don't have an answer to this but this interests me. i forget if the Mini uses laptop RAM or not. too lazy to google it so i'll wait for some expert response :p

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to get a refund for, but the mini and the MBP do share the same size memory, although depending on the model, they can be different types.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I upgraded to 8GB ram when I bought my Mini. Ram arrived before the Mini so I popped in the new ram before first boot up. Put the 2GB in the blister pack and requested an RMA. Returned the ram for the rebate and today was told, "No rebate. This Ram if from a MacBookPro." How could they tell? Is there a difference? Do I have a complaint to take to Apple?

From here it sounds like you bought RAM (eg. Corsair or Crucial), put it in your Mini, then sent back the 2 GBs to try and get a refund. If that's the case, yes, they can easily tell the RAM you pulled from the Mini isn't actually theirs.

If I'm wrong, please explain.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
I believe he is talking about OWC which will buy back your old RAM. They refer to it is an RMA which while technically a correct term always confuses everyone.

As for the OP... Have you tried contacting them and getting them to take another look at it?

coach4life

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2011
Yellow Springs, OH
From here it sounds like you bought RAM (eg. Corsair or Crucial), put it in your Mini, then sent back the 2 GBs to try and get a refund. If that's the case, yes, they can easily tell the RAM you pulled from the Mini isn't actually theirs.

If I'm wrong, please explain.

OWC requires an RMA for their rebate program.

----------

I thank all for their collaboration. I am calling OWC this AM and objecting more forcefully in an effort to get the buy-back.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
i don't have an answer to this but this interests me. i forget if the Mini uses laptop RAM or not. too lazy to google it so i'll wait for some expert response :p

Mac mini (Mid 2011) computers have two internal memory slots. These slots accept a standard PC3-10600 DDR3 204-pin SO-DIMMs (Small Outline DIMM) with the following specifications:

PC3-10600 DDR3
Unbuffered
Non-parity
204-pin module
1333 MHz

Yes, it's "laptop" RAM.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I purchased an 8GB memory upgrade from OWC (did not know about the rebate/buy back program, though) for both my MBP and Mac Mini and they were EXACTLY the same memory chips. I'm not sure what their issue is...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.