Memory question?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbarley, Jul 15, 2012.

1. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

will the 4GB of memory I now have in my duo 1.8 G5 powermac work in 2.5 Quad G5 powermac?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No. The 1.8Ghz takes DDR ram and the quad take DDR2 ram. They are not interchangeable.

3. jbarley thread starter macrumors 68030

jbarley

4. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

You need the PC2-4200 DDR2 Low Density RAM (533 MHz). They also come in 2GB sticks. You can populate the eight slots up to 16GB. Remember that they should be matching pairs.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Didn't someone once test if quads can take and use 32Gb of ram and it could?

6. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I would doubt that it could...

7. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

my friend erwin actually got a g5 quad to accept 32gbs of RAM not sure how he did it though

8. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

This question is honestly being asked again?

Go ahead and spend how ever many hundred that 32GB would cost and then see it the memory stats that it actually only utilizes 16GB. The total in about this mac is the installed amount and has 0 to do with how much the OS actually utilizes.

It's a logic board limitation and cannot be overcome. The end.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes I asked that question again. But I've never really looked into it. I thought that Nameci would know.

Your answer was rather blunt and rude. No need to attempt to explain the limitations of a Mac logicboard reading and using installed memory. I am well aware of such limitations. A simple no would have sufficed. But since you indirectly brought up the subject of testing it, would you be willing to provide the funding for such an endeavor?

10. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Why would I fund anything I know wouldn't work? Do you think it makes any logical sense to buy 32GB when you can only use 16? Why are you bringing anything to do with my finances into it?

I work with G5's at least once a week and have seen quads with 32GB installed yet only 16GB was seen by the board and OS. The ATM said 32GB and even activity monitor listed 32GB under the pie in activity monitors memory pane but all the actual memory stats in everything only totaled 16GB.

The owner of 2 that are upgraded to 32GB feels quite silly and has for a long time now.

Anyone who computed at a level where they even needed 16GB should understand hardware function and limitations enough in whatever device they own that they would already know they cannot go past 16.