Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pogmothoin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Dununda
hi there.
Relatively new to all this, and the 'mac', and have a memory question.

I have recently put in a 2Gig Ram module giving me a 3Gig (1x1 and 1x2)total.
Have been reading up tho, about the 'matched pairs' and dual channel benefits. will i be losing out to much on the performance, or will i notice a difference if i replaced the other 1Gig too?

cheers :confused:

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
hi there.
Relatively new to all this, and the 'mac', and have a memory question.

I have recently put in a 2Gig Ram module giving me a 3Gig (1x1 and 1x2)total.
Have been reading up tho, about the 'matched pairs' and dual channel benefits. will i be losing out to much on the performance, or will i notice a difference if i replaced the other 1Gig too?

cheers :confused:

The general consensus is quantity of memory outweighs matching pairs. That is to say, 3GB is better than 2GB matched, 4GB matched is better than 3GB.

I'd consider if you need (and if your machine can support) the extra gigabyte rather than if you'll see a performance boost; You might notice the boost from 3 to 4GB but I suspect you won't notice the matched-pair-bonus.

pogmothoin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Dununda
thanks for that.

i'm not sure the $270 NZD extra for a 2Gb module to only use 300Mb of it and get the matched benefit is worth it then.

:)

BadlyDrawnGirl

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2006
New Zealand
thanks for that.

i'm not sure the $270 NZD extra for a 2Gb module to only use 300Mb of it and get the matched benefit is worth it then.

This probably isn't particularly helpful, but given the astronomical markup for Apple products bought in New Zealand, wouldn't it be cheaper to purchase Mac stuff from a US distributor and just pay the extra shipping? There is a US$330 difference between IDENTICAL Macbooks purchased in the States and in NZ (factoring in currency conversion) - surely the cost of shipping couldn't possibly be that much?

pogmothoin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Dununda
This probably isn't particularly helpful, but given the astronomical markup for Apple products bought in New Zealand, wouldn't it be cheaper to purchase Mac stuff from a US distributor and just pay the extra shipping? There is a US$330 difference between IDENTICAL Macbooks purchased in the States and in NZ (factoring in currency conversion) - surely the cost of shipping couldn't possibly be that much?

to true. the 2 Gig memory on apple nz is $689NZD and i found the same thing elsewhere here for $270NZD crazy markup.... they had free shipping tho :D

will look into the US and see what the comparison is

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
thanks for that.

To each their own, but I know it would be wasting money for me... It may be a little different on the SR Macbooks that top out at 4gb rather than 3.3, but it's still a lot of money for diminished returns.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.