Memory questions (specific tech questions)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by StellaBlue, Feb 3, 2009.

1. StellaBlue macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a late 2005 Power Mac G5 Dual 2 GHz.
    I have 2 1G memory sticks in there now (came with it). I want to add about 8 additional Gigs, in 4 2G stick pairs. Should I leave the first pair where it is, and put the new bigger pairs outside of it, or should I start with the 2G pairs in the first slots and move the 1G pair to the outer slots?

Also, I know my DDR2 SDRAM speeds have to be 333 or 400. Does that mean "at least?" Because, the stick I'm looking at on TigerDirect is a 533 speed. Should work, right? Here it is: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2905798&CatId=3408

Finally, I'm open to any suggestions for other ways to speed up my startup and switching between users, too.

Thanks!
    Jason

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Mactracker says that a late 2005 G5 can use PC2-4200 533 ram.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I don't believe it matters what order you put the memory in so long as they are properly paired, but 333 or 400 means 333 or 400.

4. StellaBlue thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both.

Please forgive my question BlueRevolution, I don't mean to offend you: Are you speaking from a tech standpoint or the standpoint of an English Teacher? Know what I mean?

I ask because I can't find any slower ram anywhere, and I assume the 400 is like a minimum. Unless you know differently (tech-wise).

Thanks, looking forward to your response.

I am excited to upgrade my memory!!!

Jason

5. StellaBlue thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you JustGretchen. I bought it from there...saved me a few bucks too!

8 gigs coming my way!

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

A tech standpoint, thank you very much. ;) If it says you need 333 or 400, you can't use 500.