Memory Recommendation

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ccf, Mar 30, 2012.

1. ccf macrumors regular

I have the mid-2010 3.2GHz i3 27" iMac. I'm sure you guys know this, but it comes with two 2GB sticks with two empty slots.

I don't know much about this stuff. I can get Apple/Hynix factory original for $7.00 or Apple/Samsung factory original for $8.00. Or is there something else I should get? I can afford to to spend more money if need be.

What would you guys do as far as upgrading RAM? Two more 2GB sticks like I was looking at or maybe four 4GB sticks? Right now, I don't do heavy computing, but it does bog down at times when I have a bunch of windows & tabs open. I also plan on doing some light video editing.

Any recommendations? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Kryptik.Kode macrumors member

Kryptik.Kode

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Newegg or Amazon will have 2 STICK 4GB for around $40 shipped

4. ccf thread starter macrumors regular

Is it wise to keep the two 2GB sticks in with two new 4GB sticks?

5. Kryptik.Kode macrumors member

Kryptik.Kode

You can definitely do that. If you don't plan on buying 4 new sticks. There is no reason to get rid of your old sticks. Having all 4 slot fully populated is never a bad idea.

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Nothing wrong with it. You get a marginal speed boost if all 4 sticks are the same size, but you won't have stability issues with 2 of one size and 2 of another.

7. ccf thread starter macrumors regular

8. ccf thread starter macrumors regular

9. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

If you have any doubt at all, go to crucial.com and let it run the system scanner. It will tell you exactly what you need; then you can comparison shop that with crucial's own store, Amazon, newegg, etc.

10. Yury macrumors newbie

11. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

12. Set845 macrumors regular

I read that somewhere but I never fully understood it. Does that really mean that if all 4 sticks are not the same size then we will see a marginal speed reduction from the rated speed of the RAM? If so then why would anyone want to do that? I'm just trying to understand this better.