Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
I have the mid-2010 3.2GHz i3 27" iMac. I'm sure you guys know this, but it comes with two 2GB sticks with two empty slots.

I don't know much about this stuff. I can get Apple/Hynix factory original for $7.00 or Apple/Samsung factory original for $8.00. Or is there something else I should get? I can afford to to spend more money if need be.

What would you guys do as far as upgrading RAM? Two more 2GB sticks like I was looking at or maybe four 4GB sticks? Right now, I don't do heavy computing, but it does bog down at times when I have a bunch of windows & tabs open. I also plan on doing some light video editing.

Any recommendations? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ccf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Is it wise to keep the two 2GB sticks in with two new 4GB sticks?

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Is it wise to keep the two 2GB sticks in with two new 4GB sticks?

Nothing wrong with it. You get a marginal speed boost if all 4 sticks are the same size, but you won't have stability issues with 2 of one size and 2 of another.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ

Set845

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Nothing wrong with it. You get a marginal speed boost if all 4 sticks are the same size, but you won't have stability issues with 2 of one size and 2 of another.

I read that somewhere but I never fully understood it. Does that really mean that if all 4 sticks are not the same size then we will see a marginal speed reduction from the rated speed of the RAM? If so then why would anyone want to do that? I'm just trying to understand this better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.