Memory Recommendations.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcapanelli, Mar 28, 2009.

  1. mcapanelli macrumors regular

    mcapanelli

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2008
    Location:
    Whitestone, NY
    #1
    Hello all,

    Soon I'll be upgrading the memory in my Macbook pro to 4GB. What brands do you al recommend? I was thinking Crucial but would like to get all of your opinions and recommendations first. Thanks.


    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
     
  2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    #2
    Crucial is the best, in my opinion. I also like Kingston and Gskill. As for the other brands, I don't know. I've never tried them.

    Check this guide out as it has a ton of info about RAM.
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_RAM
     
  3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #3
    ...Crucial, Rendition (made by Crucial), Corsair or Kingston are major brands that have been in the industry for quite some time, they are your best bets all with lifetime warranties...

    G. Skill, Super talent, etc... are new comers to the industry and do offer lifetime warranties but if they go out of business and you have a problem, well...
     
  4. mcapanelli thread starter macrumors regular

    mcapanelli

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2008
    Location:
    Whitestone, NY
    #4
    Thanks you two. I'm gonna go wit the crucial 4GB kit.
     
  5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

    michael.lauden

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2008
    #5
    good choice! crucial has served me well in both of my Mac's! never had a problem and with the system scanner you can be sure to not get the wrong one!
     
  6. gerbilbox macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2003
  7. macfrik macrumors 6502

    macfrik

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2009
    Location:
    Utah
    #7
    Yap. Been using OWC for years to supply my Mac computers since iMac G4. It has never a single problem come up. Also a great price too!
     
  8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

    ViciousShadow21

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location:
    To your left or right
    #8
    yea either OWC or crucial. just make sure they are the same which ever you do.
     
  9. xoggyux macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2008
    #9
    crucial is cr@p, my 4gb kit actually slowed my computer a bit, Kingston in the otherside performed great (also crucial shippin, from their web site is low 3weeks took to ship it, so if you still want to commit suicide with crucial, at least buy off some other retail such as newegg)
     
  10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

    ViciousShadow21

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location:
    To your left or right
    #10
    oh yea i forgot about Kingston. yea there great too. and xoggyux, the crucial slowed your comp down? i would say that it was bad RAM. i have a 2GB and a 4GB crucial in my machine and i didnt notice any slow down. it actually made the benchmarks faster. anyway, when i upgrade to 8GB i think i will sell the crucial and go to Kingston.
     
  11. pdxflint macrumors 68020

    pdxflint

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon coast
    #11
    Even though I've got the previous gen MBP, I'm going to recommend Kingston. I bought 4gig of their Apple certified memory (yeah, probably not really a difference in the product, but it's marked certified for Apple, so it's probably passed an additional quality check.) I got it at newegg.com because of the very high (97%) excellent rating by customers. The other 3% rated it good, and nobody rated it less than 4 eggs. I'm sure most reputable memory makers have good products, but Kingston is clearly in the top tier.
     
  12. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

    Patriks7

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2008
    #12
    My suggestions are either OWC, Crucial, Kingston or Mushkin. Have used all in the past and never had a problem!
     
  13. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

    michael.lauden

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2008
    #13
    if crucial RAM slowed your computer down, then you should use that lifetime warranty and ask for a replacement.
     

Share This Page